Reading programs from external EEPROM

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

fernando306

Reading programs from external EEPROM

Post by fernando306 »

Hi There!

I'm designing a product that uses the FV-1 and the usage of an external EEPROM is a must. :) I'd like to use the compressor program available at spinsemi website.

Well, I bought the 24LC32A eeprom and I succeeded programming it using the PonyProg:

http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

After programming and reading the eeprom to assure everything was alright, I've put it on FV-1's board and set the T1 pin high to load the program from the eeprom.

For my suprise, it doesn't work anyway. I've tried to switch between the 8 possible combinations of the program selector, but nothing happens anyway. I've already tried reprogramming it using another program, and still the same problem.

The trace lengths (I2C bus) between the eeprom and FV-1 is very short. all the address pins of the EEPROM are tied to the ground, according to FV-1's datasheet.

It works normally reading programs from the internal ROM by the way, and it's using the 32.768Khz xtal.

What am I possibly missing?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards
frank

Post by frank »

Working on this via support email...
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
fernando306

Post by fernando306 »

frank wrote:Working on this via support email...
Yes, thanks for that! :wink:
dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

im having the same problem was there a solution?
frank

Post by frank »

In this case the EEPROM was not being programmed properly, once that was fixed in the programmer it worked properly.

Exactly what are you doing, can you post a schematic, etc?
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

yeah id say its the programmer . its a ch341 based programmer off ebay( the software is in chinese so i can tread the error messages). all good tho im buying a development board asap
frank

Post by frank »

We may still be able to get it to work, exactly what steps are you doing, what files are you loading, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

after a long haiatus i tried getting this programmer to work with no luck . tried windows and linux and it doesnt appear to actually write anything to the rom. i have tried using bin and hex files but neither work.
frank

Post by frank »

I don't know if this is the programmer you are using but this site may be of some help: http://hackingbtbusinesshub.wordpress.c ... ory/ch341/
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

thats the one im using ! thats also the site i was using to figure out the chinese translation and getting it working under linux( thought it might be windows 7 related) it doesnt seem to be writing anything to the rom. it says it is but when read back its just ffffff's
frank

Post by frank »

Are you sure you are putting the eeprom in the correct position in the socket? If you are, then it sounds like a bad programmer.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

as far as i know i am , im using the smd version of the chip but that shouldnt make any difference. any other ideas?
frank

Post by frank »

What errors do you get? Does it complain about the file format, the device, the socket, the driver, etc?
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

it doesnt acutally give any errors in linux, and the windows version is in chinese. im about to give up on this as im ordering a dev board but im still curious as to why its not writing.