Stomp Switch wiring preferences? [OT]

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

Which option do you (and your potential customers) prefer?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:11 pm

A. Shut off FV-1 complete to save battery life (but incur a small power-on delay)
No votes
B. Leave the FV-1 processing even when the stomp switch is set for pass-through (and consumer more battery life but have instant-on)
100%
C. Other
No votes
D. OMGWT*RU talkin about
No votes
E. It depends on the pedal
No votes
F. How much battery life are we talkin here?
No votes

Total votes: 3

diydsp

Stomp Switch wiring preferences? [OT]

Post by diydsp »

Hey folks, I know this might be potentially Off-Topic, so please attack me with a swarm of bees if you want, but I was wondering - if you make a guitar stompbox out of an FV-1 and it runs on a 9V battery, what are your configuration preferences are for the line-in plug switch and the stomp switch? Is it preferred to shut off the FV-1 completely and save battery life (but incur a small power-on delay)? or is it preferred to have the FV-1 running and processing even when the stomp switch is set for pass-through (which would consume batteries more quickly, but have instant-on) ?
Sweetalk

Post by Sweetalk »

I prefer to leave the FV-1 running to have an instant procesing. Sometimes you have a long decay reverb and you want it to be there when you turn on the pedal again.

If you shut down the FV-1 the power-on delay and noise (I hear a high pitch noise when power up) can be really annoying. I'll be nice if the IC had a deep sleep mode to reduce the current draw.
slacker

Post by slacker »

I'd agree with Sweetalk. On the FV-1 based pedals I've built I use buffered bypass with the input of the FV-1 permanently connected to the output of the input buffer. This way its always processing so when engaged there's no delay in hearing the effect. Buffered bypass also allows you to do "tails" if you wanted, where delay or reverb will tail off after you've bypassed the effect, shutting it down would prevent this.

If I had customers I'd assume they would mostly use a power supply, like in many pedals the battery would only be for demo purposes and to allow you to instantly play with your new toy.
Mcfly

Post by Mcfly »

slacker wrote:I'd agree with Sweetalk. On the FV-1 based pedals I've built I use buffered bypass with the input of the FV-1 permanently connected to the output of the input buffer. This way its always processing so when engaged there's no delay in hearing the effect. Buffered bypass also allows you to do "tails" if you wanted, where delay or reverb will tail off after you've bypassed the effect, shutting it down would prevent this.

If I had customers I'd assume they would mostly use a power supply, like in many pedals the battery would only be for demo purposes and to allow you to instantly play with your new toy.
Slacker, can you give some details on how you did the buffered bypass? I'm having some really loud pop noises using a 3pdt.
slacker

Post by slacker »

Here's a link to a schematic that shows how I do it, it's nothing special. http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... alNumber=2

In connects straight to the tip of the input jack, then I use half a DPDT switch to select either the buffered out or Effect out to send to the output jack. The other half of the DPDT can be used to switch a LED if you want one.