Pitch detection

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

skajam66

Pitch detection

Post by skajam66 »

Is there any way to use the FV-1 chip to perform pitch detection?
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

One hesitates to answer "no" because the chip is pretty amazing. That said, the programs aren't very long and the instruction set is not as flexible as some DSP chips.

Perhaps you could elaborate - e.g. do pitch detection and then what?
slacker

Post by slacker »

There's an example of pitch detection in this thread http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0 so it's possible to do at least simple "pitch to voltage" conversion.
Like Larry said, what exactly do you want to do?
skajam66

Post by skajam66 »

Thanks for your replies. To elaborate, I have a guitar amp that I'm looking to add the FV-1 circuitry for effects and it struck me that a built-in tuner would also be a nice option particularly if the FV-1 could perform that task as well.

The FV-1 would need to be able to provide some output that would be proportional to the pitch of a single guitar string. The detectable frequency range would need to be from around 30Hz to 400Hz. A micro-controller would then read that output and display the nearest note with a % sharp/flat indication
skajam66

Post by skajam66 »

I've now read the quoted thread (should have done this before I replied) and it looks like the comments by Don Stavely have exactly what I'm looking for.