Dry/wet blend for a general purpose pedal?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Digital Larry

Dry/wet blend for a general purpose pedal?

Post by Digital Larry »

As we all know, you can create FX that include the dry signal coming out of the FV-1 or you can handle wet/dry blend externally.

I'm trying to figure the best approach for a pedal design that could be general purpose.

Stuff like tremolo is not going to want any dry signal for some settings, as well as the modulations like chorus/flange/phase. On the flip side, reverbs/delays are usually going to want a wet/dry blend. If you want a chorus whose blend is independent of the reverb level though, that's going to be tough.

If you do wet/dry with an external knob then you can keep 3 FV-1 knobs for patch parameter adjust. But rather than a typical effects return type knob that you'd find on a reverb or delay pedal, it seems that the best approach would be fully dry on one side and fully wet on the other side, so you could get any blend you like.

Just wonder how people have managed to deal with this. Is there a one size fits all solution?
frank

Post by frank »

Having worked with many companies I can tell you there is no one size fits all solution for wet/dry mix. Depends on the program, desired end product, desired number of adjustable parameters, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

Aw, poo. :lol:

I'll put my efforts then, into a PCB design that could easily be adapted to varying mix topologies. I'll let you know what I come up with.
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

If you want a one PCB fits all so you can use it for many different effects then that is the way to go. You can then fit or leave out the required components to suit your particular build.
nehaali

Post by nehaali »

Hi,
I've been working on a FV1 chip lately with the tonepad layout and it works great !
I'm now looking for the SPN1001-DEV.
I'd like to develop the pitch shifting part of the chip witch is quite interesting i guess. By the way is it possible to reduce the latency of the pitched tone ?
frank

Post by frank »

With the way it does pitch shifting there will always be a delay due to the buffer.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize