evaluation board with mac os

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

sandromatik

evaluation board with mac os

Post by sandromatik »

hi,
is somebody programming his evaluation board thru WINE on mac os ?

It does open the Spin assembler program,
but I don't have an evaluation board yet..
when I try to Assemble a program, WINE crashes.
I would have expected some sort of error message (no board connected), but at least no crash.. :-(

Could this happen cause no board is connected, or maybe I'm not using the right software?

thanks for your advices
frank

Post by frank »

On Windows SpinASM will assemble without a board attached. SpinASM does look to see if there is a board so when you press the"A" icon it will assemble then download to the board, if no board it stops after assembly.

Across the bottom of the SpinAsm window it should show if it thinks the dev board is connected or not.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
sandromatik

Post by sandromatik »

thanks Frank,
offline status on the bottom bar, so I think the problem is with WINE...
As soon as I receive the board will give a try with the hardware connected
slacker

Post by slacker »

I could never get SpinASM to work with WINE, that was on Linux though not a Mac, so you may have more luck. It would install OK, but wouldn't assemble anything, it always claimed there were errors in the source code even though there weren't, it was as though it wasn't reading the file correctly possibly some sort of format error.
In the end I gave up and installed Windows XP on a virtual machine.
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

I recently tried Spin ASM under Wine on Mint Linux and had the same issue (at least roughly speaking - it didn't work). Didn't put tons of effort into it, but I am more and more looking to be productive (at least at home) without needing Windows. So I will probably put slightly more effort into it and report back.

DL
sandromatik

Post by sandromatik »

I'm installing windows on a virtual machine as well.. happy to read it works!! thanks slacker.
On my mac WINE did the same.. it seemed to work but then crashed when I click Assemble

HI Larry,
thank you very much for your great work.
the first time I run your software the other day I couldn't believe my eyes.
SpinCAD is FANTASTIC!!!!!
I have no words..
the effect blocks are great and it is a pleasure to work with it.

best 2014 to everyone
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

sandromatik wrote: HI Larry,
I have no words..

best 2014 to everyone
Wow, thanks! Can I quote you on that? 8^)

DL
sandromatik

Post by sandromatik »

Of course!
Swindler

Post by Swindler »

Hey guys. First post. Sorry if this thread is old but I'm trying to get this same thing set up myself and am looking for advice.

I've got an old Macbook Pro that is my go-to computer I'm trying to get SpinASM and the dev kit running on. Comp is a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP from around 2008-09.

First, I tried installing Windows 7 64-bit on an Oracle VirtualBox VM but no matter how I set up the USB/ports I could never get windows to recognize that the dev board was plugged in. It would register and install drivers for flashdrives and such but not a thing with the dev board.

Now I'm attempting the dual boot route using Boot Camp and the same Windows 7 64 bit setup. Now when I boot into Windows (with the SpinASM software downloaded) and plug in the dev board it does recognize that something is plugged in but windows can't find the drivers for it. When I go into device manager to manually select or update the driver to the one downloaded it says something about Windows already having the appropriate driver installed.

It looks like the driver installed when I installed the SpinASM download but it's not pairing with the dev board and the dev board is still not usable. It's not recognized as being online in the SpinASM software.

Any advice would be appreciated. I may could resurrect my less old HP comp but I hate using that thing and would much rather get the Mac working.
micahvdm

Post by micahvdm »

For windows 7, run it as admin.
For Mac, I was able to get it working through Crossover Pro (I think there's an option to run as admin on there too)

Hope this helps.
slacker

Post by slacker »

For Virtual Box have you installed the guest additions, I think you need these for USB to work properly. I'm running Windows XP in Virtual Box and the dev board is detected and works fine.
Swindler

Post by Swindler »

Micahvdm,

The problem isn't running the software it's getting the system to recognize that the dev board hardware is plugged in. I was able to open the SpinASM software in both the VM and dual boot. However, the hardware never worked in either. In the VM it never acted like anything new was ever plugged in, and in the dual boot I saw the new hardware but couldn't select or update the driver for it and I think ended up getting a Code 43 error. I looked into it a bit but couldn't find a way around it.

Slacker,

Yes I installed the guest additions for my Windows 7 virtualbox. I think something is wrong detecting specifically the dev board on my Mac though. For example, I was seeing flash-drives plugged in just fine in the VM so I know the USB port support was working. I never see any new hardware listed in the Mac system information (device manager) when I plug the dev board in....
slacker

Post by slacker »

Does it show up if you go to Devices >> USB in the VM? I'm not that familiar with Macs but I think they have the dmesg command that you can run from a terminal, this should give you some information when you plug in a USB device, see if that tells you anything when you plug the dev board in. Like you say maybe the Mac isn't detecting it.

Have you tried the dev board on any other Windows computers, maybe it's damaged.
Swindler

Post by Swindler »

No it doesn't show in Devices >> USB in the VM. That's why I think it's Mac not recognizing it.

Here's what I get using "sudo dmesg" after plugging the board in:

USBF: 2403.956 The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfa000000)
USBF: 2406.956 The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

Dug around a bit and didn't see any solid fixes.

I've tried it on a HP running Windows 7 64-bit and everything works great. I can link the drivers and it shows up as "Online" in SpinASM.
MacroMachines

Post by MacroMachines »

Digital Larry wrote:
sandromatik wrote: HI Larry,
I have no words..

best 2014 to everyone
Wow, thanks! Can I quote you on that? 8^)

DL
Id love to supply a quote as well :P

"SpinCAD makes a vast sea of effect design options accessible in a fun way. It takes the FV-1 to a whole new LEVEL!"
http://MacroMachines.net
Digital Control for your Analog Soul.