What kind of rotary switch?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

livingston

What kind of rotary switch?

Post by livingston »

What is the rotary switch called that's used to change presets? I'm looking for a through-hole version if possible. Obviously a usual 3P4T or similar will not work, but I don't know what this type of switch, which switches bits, is called.

I'm not really looking for the part used in the development board; it seems a little too fragile for production pedals, but the part number would be helpful anyway. It's not listed in the dev board schematic.
frank

Post by frank »

Typically called a rotary encoder (note that name fits more than one type of device), check places like Grayhill http://www.grayhill.com/ for something compatible.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
livingston

Post by livingston »

For future searchers, this was suggested at another forum. Looks like one of these will work.
djmalan

Post by djmalan »

I used this with the diodes but easily broken from inside and :D ,by the way I learned a little bit about programming PICs and is perfect and cheap solution for me now (price of a Pic is the same as encoders) and I have spare outputs from the pic for display,for latest program change memory ,code protection for eeprom (using internal eeprom of the pic ,some have I2c protocol hardware) ,or several eeprom for more tahan 8 external programs and output mute ,etc. :idea:
gogolo

Post by gogolo »

Im still unsure. Must it be a switch with a hex encoding or will gray code be also fine? like this one: https://www.distrelec.ch/stufenschalter ... 024/211652

thank you for your help.
olivier
frank

Post by frank »

It is recommended you use hex coding not grey coding. Using grey code will change the order of the effect programs. If that is acceptable then grey code is fine.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
gogolo

Post by gogolo »

thanks very much for your kind answer!

Im looking forward to build it into my self constructed classical silent guitar.
gogolo

Post by gogolo »

One more question: How do I connect the rotary switch? Is there some explanation somewhere? Thanks.
frank

Post by frank »

That will depend on the switch, refer to the datasheet for the switch you got, it should have examples showing how to connect it.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
gogolo

Post by gogolo »

Ok thanks, I'll do that. And sorry for this noob questions...
solak

Post by solak »

livingston, what you’re asking for is a very basic rotary encoder. I mostly avoid using this because although it provides a user friendly switch but at the same time, the through-hole mounting of this encoder doesn’t last for a long time. It is much better to use a small toggle button type encoder, although they have to be manually turned on and off, they still provide a better and more long lasting solution for this.