Spin Semiconductor Forum Index Spin Semiconductor
Support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 xFV-1 considerations ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spin Semiconductor Forum Index -> FV-1 hardware questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ice-nine

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: 2 xFV-1 considerations ? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of making a circuit which will use 2 FV-1 chips each with its own eeprom. The eeprom switching will be done using one selector so when for example program '0' is selected both FV-1's will receive there own (different) code from there respective Eeprom. The reason behind this is to allow for up to 6 dsp control pots and larger (in a way) program capability.

My questions are what should I consider in connecting the outputs of one FV-1 to the inputs of the second and will there be any timing problems running from separate crystals? (unlikelyi think) should both chips run from one crystal? Thirdly will there be any S/N ratio accumulation problem?
Thanks
Mick
frank

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this so these are thoughts just off the top of my head, if I miss something or am wrong about something I hope someone else catches it...

Use 1 crystal, there won't be any timing problems since it will be analog in and out but each FV-1 has a PLL, better if both see the same reference clock.

Converter noise will add when you run the out of one to the in of the other so if this is a mono device drive both ADC inputs and add the signals together in the FV-1. Signal should increase by about 6db but noise by only 3db. Also consider that it is delta-sigma converters so noise from the DAC is being pushed out of band and you don't want it to alias back in band in the ADC of the second FV-1 so a low pass filter between them is probably a must.
Sweetalk

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting a project with 2 FV-1's too for more control pots as well. So if I have some trouble or issue I'll post it!.
ice-nine

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetalk wrote:
I'm starting a project with 2 FV-1's too for more control pots as well. So if I have some trouble or issue I'll post it!.

Thats great news Sweetalk, it's all thinking for me at the moment as I am off to the TT motorcycle races soon and will back June 17 so that wll be when any real layouts will start to happen for me.

I too will post any progress here.

Thanks Frank for the info also.
GaryInThailand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this front? I'm about to configure 2 eval bds for series and parallel operation. I think that might be a bit of fun! Smile
Sweetalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a different project I'm using 2 FV-1's but I must share control pots. It can be done with a single pot? (haven't tried yet, just evaluating possibilities but I don't want to use a dual pot). Thinked to buffer the CV signal and split it to both FV but the opamps offset will reduce the range of the pot. Any thoughs?.
ice-nine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetalk wrote:
In a different project I'm using 2 FV-1's but I must share control pots. It can be done with a single pot? (haven't tried yet, just evaluating possibilities but I don't want to use a dual pot). Thinked to buffer the CV signal and split it to both FV but the opamps offset will reduce the range of the pot. Any thoughs?.

From the datasheet
The input resistance of the potentiometer control inputs is on the order of 10 megohms, and these terminals are quite resistant to noise. No bypass capacitors should be required on these terminals. If not required, these terminals may be left open, or if the program includes the use of a potentiometer function, it may be connected to MID if a centered potentiometer position is desired, but an actual control is not intended in the design.

Reading this would suggest to me that you could use the wiper off one pot directly on multiple pot controls over the 2 FV-1's. Frank will be able to confirm or dismiss this.
Sweetalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ice-nine wrote:
Sweetalk wrote:

From the datasheet
The input resistance of the potentiometer control inputs is on the order of 10 megohms, and these terminals are quite resistant to noise. No bypass capacitors should be required on these terminals. If not required, these terminals may be left open, or if the program includes the use of a potentiometer function, it may be connected to MID if a centered potentiometer position is desired, but an actual control is not intended in the design.

Reading this would suggest to me that you could use the wiper off one pot directly on multiple pot controls over the 2 FV-1's. Frank will be able to confirm or dismiss this.

Looking in another topic Frank says that t'll be possible. You posted before me Razz
tjm215

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if this would be an ok configuration for using two spins -

input buffer-->fv1A-->fv1B-->output buffer

would you need any buffering between the chips or is that not necessary?

also would i be able to drop the output resistor and capacitor of the first fv1 and the input resistor and capacitor on the second fv-1?
frank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe you would need buffering between the FV-1s but I would keep some filtering to remove out of band noise and any DC offset difference between the chips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spin Semiconductor Forum Index -> FV-1 hardware questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: