Phase difference between wet&dry signals

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

skajam66

Phase difference between wet&dry signals

Post by skajam66 »

HI,
I'm looking at using the FV-1 in a design where the FV-1 acts as a send/receive FX block. There is an analog channel which must remain untouched - the FV-1 would be fed from the analog channel and a % mixed back in late in the analog chain.

Should I be concerned about the phase difference between the wet and dry signals caused by the inherent delay in the FV-1 processing? I.e. the wet signal could cancel out the dry signal at some frequencies.

In some of the commercial products that I have looked at (mixers, amplifiers, both with internal and external FX capability) I cannot see how it would be possible to adjust for phase difference so I am assuming that it is not a problem. However, just asking to make sure....

Regards,
ac
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

If your effects are mostly of the ambience type (delays and reverbs) then I think the additional latency will not be a big deal.

A chorus also might not be too greatly affected by the latency as your wet signal is already going to be delayed some tens of milliseconds.

For a flanger, you might want to worry about it.
igorp

Post by igorp »

i did test patch to test hardware read ADC and send it normal/inverted to DAC
because of delay (1 tick for ADC read and 1 tick for DAC)
Result was no signal cacelation, some lower segment become less loud, and that is all.

You can invert phase in your patches , if needed