How to test FV-1 IC before soldering?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

sashaagafonoff

How to test FV-1 IC before soldering?

Post by sashaagafonoff »

What's a good way to test FV-1 chips to make sure they are working before soldering them in? I'm still new to building, and finding some of mine aren't working despite voltages etc all being correct.

Maybe it's due to too much heat, or possibly a questionable batch of ICs I bought recently, but it would be good to have a fast test methodology before committing a PCB full of parts to a faulty chip...

Grateful for any tips!!!
frank

Re: How to test FV-1 IC before soldering?

Post by frank »

A board with a socket is the best method but what % failure are you seeing, what is the failure (noise, clicks, etc.) and where did you get the chips? While infant mortality does happen (passes production test but fails quickly in field) it is a very small % and most failures are due to things like problems with the crystal being used, power issues (slow to rise, unstable regulator) or buying from an unauthorized source.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

I hand solder the majority of FV-1 IC's I use and have had very few failures in well over 1000 units. There are a couple of areas I would look out for when hand soldering and the first is use a good No-Clean solder flux pen (not a water based). The second think to note is, if you are not buying from a recommended SpinSemi distro then check the manufacture date on the IC, some Aliexpress sellers have chips that are dated 10 years old and may be reclaimed from other circuits.

Also SOIC28 to dip 28 test/program adapter is good for testing.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
sashaagafonoff

Post by sashaagafonoff »

Thanks, those are both helpful, and what I expected regarding failure rate. I did source the ICs in China (i live there) and lesson learned... One batch I received are 2008!!! Definitely will get better organized and use only the approved suppliers.. it's an expensive mistake!!

I certainly wouldn't want to ship a pedal using those chips - even if they work after building, who knows when they might subsequently fail?