"...directory\MFC363A.tmp contains an invalid path"

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

knutolai

"...directory\MFC363A.tmp contains an invalid path"

Post by knutolai »

I recently started getting this error when attempting to save .spn files in subfolders of the spinsrc directory. There seem to be no issue when editing files directly in the spinsrc directory (the root directory). The error pop-up is followed by another pop-up stating:

"Error Saving
... directory/filename.spn"

The .tmp file name changes every time I attempt to save. I have taken a backup of all my .spn, .spj and .hex files and reinstalled SpinASM, but the problem persists. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I really need to get this fixed (I need SpinASM for my job) and I can't keep track of my work if all my files are in the main spinsrc directory (too crowded).

On a sidenote:
SpinASM is storing all my .spn, .spj and .hex files in a separate "SpinAsm IDE" folder (with all my spinsrc directory subfolders) that IT has generated in my "user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)"-directory. This directory is separate from the "Windows (C:)\Program Files (x86)"-directory. The real SpinAsm IDE directory only contains the example codes and projects that are included when you install the software. I don't know why it's doing this, but it's kinda annoying.., It's always been this way though so I doubt it has anything to do with the error.
frank

Re: "...directory\MFC363A.tmp contains an invalid path"

Post by frank »

Never seen this error but it looks like something being created by the filesystem and not SpinAsm. Most times writing errors are due to you not having the correct permissions for a given directory I always suggest writing to your documents directory and avoiding all system type directories.

What you should do is set the paths for all the files types in the setup dialog then change the paths there when you change projects. I have everything in sub-folders of a master folder in my Documents directory (i.e. My Documents\Spin Stuff\Proj1) I put all the file types in the same folder for a given project.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
knutolai

Post by knutolai »

Thanks Frank I'll give this a go! I'll try changing directory for the hexout, projects and programs. Do I also need to change the output directory for the "C header out" or are those files of no consequence?
frank

Post by frank »

Set it to a directory you have full write permissions to so you do not get write errors but if don't use them you can leave it set there. No need to clutter up the important directories with them. Maybe make a My Documents\junk directory.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
knutolai

Post by knutolai »

Changing directories did the trick! Thank you so much Frank for always answering so quickly! :)