Question about splitting signal - mono to two channel input

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

mtripoli

Question about splitting signal - mono to two channel input

Post by mtripoli »

I'm in the process of designing my circuit to use the FV-1 in a guitar amp. I'll be splitting the signal to drive both left and right channels. Should I invert the guitar signal going into the (left) channel to get a pseudo-stereo or will this mess up the processing internal to the FV-1? The outputs will go into two "mono-block" power amps.

Thanks very much.

Mike Tripoli
frank

Post by frank »

Well, in my opinion I would not invert the signal. It won't cause a problem in the FV-1 but you could end up with cancellation depending on what you do with the signals and what program you are using.

What effects are you using? Built-in or your own? There are a number of ways to make pseudo-stereo simply like slightly different filtering on each channel, taking taps from slightly different locations in a delay line, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Maybe I should back up. I'm not trying to create stereo. I made an assumption ( :oops: ) that in order to get output from the left and right channels one has to input signal into the the right and left channels. I haven't gone back and looked at the docs for the FV-1 so this may be wrong. (?) My signal chain is guitar in, buffer, tone controls, "custom" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: distortion circuit that can be switched in and out and the FV-1 output to the power amps (2x250W). If I only need to buffer/split the signal (no inversions) or only go into one channel that's fine. I want to make sure that chorus and such doesn't sound wonky (technical term).

Thanks!

Mike Tripoli
frank

Post by frank »

OK, got ya'. The inputs and outputs are not connected in any manner, the program decides what to read from and what to write to so you could read from left and write to right if you write a program that way.

It is best practice to always drive or tie off an input and not let it float so it would be best to drive both the left and right inputs even if your program ignores one of them or you only use one output. I would drive both inputs with the same signal in this case, I think that will give you what you are looking for.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Thanks very much!