Mid Reference Capacitor

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

mportnoy

Re: Mid Reference Capacitor

Post by mportnoy »

Interesting discussion.

I've been using 85 c 1uf electrolytics in my design for the ref and mid caps. I haven't seen any issues with ADC or DAC conversion.

This is OT, but I managed to get the chip's noise performance below -100dB unweighted. I won't say exactly how low, but I will say that I don't have to use any external audio path filtration with the chip. My dev research showed that the FV-1 is sensitive to power supply noise (like all converters). Also, it sounds WAY better at 3.3v than it does at 3v.

The one thing I found that just drove me nuts during dev was fighting clock noise on power supply pins. Not sure if that's a normal issue? I resolved it eventually.

Anyway, just my 2 cents about the ref and mid caps.
Sweetalk

Post by Sweetalk »

mportnoy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:08 pm Interesting discussion.

I've been using 85 c 1uf electrolytics in my design for the ref and mid caps. I haven't seen any issues with ADC or DAC conversion.

This is OT, but I managed to get the chip's noise performance below -100dB unweighted. I won't say exactly how low, but I will say that I don't have to use any external audio path filtration with the chip. My dev research showed that the FV-1 is sensitive to power supply noise (like all converters). Also, it sounds WAY better at 3.3v than it does at 3v.

The one thing I found that just drove me nuts during dev was fighting clock noise on power supply pins. Not sure if that's a normal issue? I resolved it eventually.

Anyway, just my 2 cents about the ref and mid caps.
Can you make a separate post on your findings/recommendations?
knutolai

Post by knutolai »

mportnoy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:08 pm This is OT, but I managed to get the chip's noise performance below -100dB unweighted. I won't say exactly how low, but I will say that I don't have to use any external audio path filtration with the chip. My dev research showed that the FV-1 is sensitive to power supply noise (like all converters). Also, it sounds WAY better at 3.3v than it does at 3v.

Would be very interesting indeed!

mportnoy's follow up thread can be found here:
http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4612#p4612