Creating a Weaver type radio demodulator

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

RRing

Creating a Weaver type radio demodulator

Post by RRing »

I am trying to see if I can create a single sideband demodulator for my SDR. I have created an AM demodulator, and a phasing type (all pass networks) single side band demodulator that both work great. An alternative to the phasing demodulator is the Weaver type. I have two audio signals in quadrature(90 deg phase shifted) coming into the FV-1. These signals both need to be band limited with low pass filters to a frequency of approximately 2 kHz, then each signal needs to be multiplied(mixed) one with a sine wave of 2Khz( a little less...below the filter knee) and the other signal with a cosine wave of 2 Khz. Then both multiplied signals are summed at the output. The result is rejection of one of the side bands like you would do with a ring modulator. So my issue is creating the sine/cosine wave at that high a frequency(can't use the LFO's?). I have seen reference to audio test generation with the FV-1 but it is not clear to me if this can be done. Is there a simple approach to creating the higher frequency sine/cosine that will work?
Aaron

Re: Creating a Weaver type radio demodulator

Post by Aaron »

There is a program called "Battling LFOs" on this page:
http://www.spinsemi.com/programs.php
It uses a coupled form oscillator to generate a sine and cosine. You can read more about this algo on this paper:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dattorro/Ef ... nPart3.pdf
RRing

Post by RRing »

thanks...yes the LFO frequency is too low ....I need to create sine/cosine in the 2 Khz range but i did see a sine generator program...not exactly sure what is going on in that demo code but I will look at in more detail.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

These are the equations I use:

s(n+1) = s(n) + fc * c(n)
c(n+1) = c(n) - fc * s(n+1)

fc = 2 * pi * f / R
f = frequency in Hz
R = sample rate in Hz
RRing

Post by RRing »