Pot Values

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

mark2

Pot Values

Post by mark2 »

Sorry if this has a really obvious answer... but what dictates the value of POT0, POT1, and POT2?

I've been happily using B100k for these, but if I want to wire up an expression pedal that could be problematic since most are about 10k.

I've seen other boards that use 25k or 50k; Did they make any other changes to accommodate these values? Wouldn't that limit the range of the pots by half or a quarter compared to a 100k, or am I grossly underthinking this?

Or in short, what can I do to make this work well with a 10k expression pedal?

Thanks!
frank

Re: Pot Values

Post by frank »

10K is fine to use.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
smear

Post by smear »

the pots are just working as variable voltage dividers between +3.3V and ground. in a voltage divider, using larger resistors limits the current available, but also increases the amount of noise picked up by the divider. but the pots aren't part of the signal path, plus there's internal filtering on the pot inputs, so there's no reason to worry about the noise. so there isn't any particular difference between various pot values.
mark2

Post by mark2 »

Thank you both, that makes total sense and I get it now.
I feel kind of dumb since I didn't think that through. I was assuming the voltages would be different depending on the pot size, but of course that's not how a voltage divider works. No more late-night posts for me.

Thanks again. Very helpful!