Linux just the Assembler?

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

jwhitmore

Linux just the Assembler?

Post by jwhitmore »

I previously asked about running the IDE on Linux, but this time I'm just interested in the Assembler...

I've struggled with getting the IDE working on Linux, attempting both Wine and a Virtual Machine. I'd no joy so I had to resort to using an old laptop which I still had a windows partition on, so I can dual boot it into Windows. Not the best solution but better then going and buying a new computer with Windows 10 on it. Given the number of computers I already have, another one for a single function is hard to justify.

So I then hit on a thought... A portion of the IDE's functionality is taking a source text file and running an assembler on it to generate a binary hex file. That's the only bit, of the IDE, that I'm really interested in. The rest of the IDE's functionality is for organising projects, communicating with the target dev board, writing the resulting binary hex file to the EEPROM, of the Dev board. I'm not too bothered about that part at all. So I thought that given the limited functionality of the Assembler, mainly parsing text files it might easily be compiled for a Linux target architecture. I don't want the source code.

Actually given the limited scope of the FV-1's instruction set, (perhaps 30 instructions), I wonder would it be possible to write a quick assembler in Python. Hmmm, there might be better options rather then Python but you know what I mean.
potul

Re: Linux just the Assembler?

Post by potul »

jwhitmore

Post by jwhitmore »

Thanks a million potul, that's exactly what I was looking for and undoubtedly better then what I would have implemented ;) Thanks again that will make my Linux/Spin life easier ;)
jwhitmore

Post by jwhitmore »

I hope user 'potul' is checking in now and again.

I've been working on Hardware, so only now getting back to testing the python assembler. It installed without issue and kinda works, but doesn't like my assembley code. Specifically it doesn't like my first line:

radx ADCL, 1.0

which results in:

parse error: Expected EQU or MEM but saw LABEL ADCL on line 20

that's on line 20 in the above error because I went through the documentation on github and looked at the examples. I copied a "useless" example program from github page for the assembler and pasted that into my test file which results in a longer source file. However the label which is causing the problem "ADCL" occurs earlier in the file, (the 3rd line), and is not causing an issue, so I can't understand why it's a problem with my code later in the file.

Any insight would be gratefully received.

Code: Select all

; A complete, but useless FV-1 assembly program
MEM	delay	int(32767*3/5)	; ~0.6 sec delay
EQU	input	ADCL		; use ADCL for input
EQU	output	DACL		; use DACL for output
EQU	vol	REG0		; use REG0 for volume
start:	skp	RUN,main	; skip to main after first sample
	ldax	POT0		; read from POT0
	wrax	vol,0.0		; write volume to register
main:	ldax	input		; read from input
	mulx	vol		; scale by volume
	wra	delay,0.0	; write to delay
	rda	delay^,0.5	; read from delay midpoint
	rda	delay#,0.5	; read from delay end
	wrax	output,0.0	; write to output

clr			; clear ACC
	wrax	DACL,0.0	; Write to DACL

;;  My code
	radx	ADCL, 1.0	;; parse error: Expected EQU or MEM but saw LABEL ADCL on line 20
	wrax	DACL, 0
;	radx	ADCR, 1.0
;	wrax	DACR, 0
frank

Post by frank »

You have a typo, It is RDAX not RADX so the assembler thinks it is a label
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
jwhitmore

Post by jwhitmore »

How embarrassing, totally misread what the problem was.

Thanks a million for taking the time to point that out Frank.