Pseudo-stereo alghritm?

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

ZibiSound

Pseudo-stereo alghritm?

Post by ZibiSound »

Hello,
How to make pseudo-stereo output from mono input?
frank

Re: Pseudo-stereo alghritm?

Post by frank »

Couple of different ways google it to show you some of them. Basically delays and filtering.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
ZibiSound

Post by ZibiSound »

Okay, so maybe another thing. If I want to send signal eg. to delay memory I must sum left/right channels before. But doing simply two "rdax adcl/r, 0.5" gives a bit muffled sound. Is there any simple algo to add channels without losing much sound details?
potul

Post by potul »

What you describe is simply adding L and R channels. Nothing is going to be cleaner/simpler than this.
If you are getting a loss of frequencies, the origin might be in your input signals. Maybe some comb filtering happening? Just guessing.

You can try to increase the 0.5 to get more volume, but be careful with clipping.
ZibiSound

Post by ZibiSound »

potul wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:44 amIf you are getting a loss of frequencies, the origin might be in your input signals.
Well, maybe expressed myself wrong. I meant losing the stereo panorama and it sounds strange but its normal, I think. Delaying one channel relative to the other about 10ms gives stereo impression, but what if I don't want to use delay? How to do it another way? What kind of filtering use?
potul

Post by potul »

Maybe let's start from the beginning because I'm not sure I understand what you need.

Do you have stereo input, whant to process it in mono, and then generate a stereo output again?
ZibiSound

Post by ZibiSound »

No, I have mono input (without stereo panorama, of course) and I want to make output sound like stereo.
potul

Post by potul »

"sound like stereo" you mean stereo output to the L and R channels?
It depends on the effect you are working on. But at the end, you need to create some differences between left and right channel. It can be adding a delay between both, having a different filter, some modulation between them... there are multiple opitons.

Maybe if you tell us more on the code and effect you are working on we can figure out something more.
potul

Post by potul »

ZibiSound

Post by ZibiSound »

Thank you for this link, I'll try.
ZibiSound

Post by ZibiSound »

What are poles and zeros? How to understand that?
potul

Post by potul »

Find some Internet tutorial about filters and you will find what poles and zeros are.

If you use the Gerzon scheme in the same paper, you will only need 2 identical All-Pass filters.
ZibiSound

Post by ZibiSound »

potul wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:43 pmIf you use the Gerzon scheme in the same paper, you will only need 2 identical All-Pass filters.
Okay, but what is "Width gain"?
potul

Post by potul »

sebxx4 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:43 am Okay, but what is "Width gain"?
I assume it's just a gain stage that controls the depth of the pseudo stereo.