FV-1 Pot Inputs - Using Digital Pot or DAC?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Videosplicer

FV-1 Pot Inputs - Using Digital Pot or DAC?

Post by Videosplicer »

Hello all -

The FV-1's Sx inputs are logic inputs and not an issue to connect to a micro-controller. The Pot inputs are voltage level sensing and are little harder to connect to a micro-controller. I see two options in connecting them to a micro. 1, use a DAC for each Pot input and the output voltage is used for each Pot input, or 2, use a digital pot as a voltage divider and feed the divided voltage into each Pot input of the FV-1.

One reason for wanting fully micro-controlled pot settings is for MIDI patches and saving those settings. My current project (not a pedal) is MIDI enabled and all analog parts of it use digital pots for audio levels and trigger settings. I'm thinking I should be consistent and use digital pots for the FV-1.

Has anyone created a fully micro-controlled FV-1 and how did you control the pot inputs?

Thanks!
Paul
Sweetalk

Re: FV-1 Pot Inputs - Using Digital Pot or DAC?

Post by Sweetalk »

I use PWM for controlling pots via uC. let me know if I can be helpful
Videosplicer

Post by Videosplicer »

Thanks! :)
Videosplicer

Post by Videosplicer »

Sweetalk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:57 pm I use PWM for controlling pots via uC. let me know if I can be helpful

So, are you using PWM to charge an external capacitor / resistor network or something like that then feeding that to the pot inputs to the FV-1?
Sweetalk

Post by Sweetalk »

Videosplicer wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:16 pm
Sweetalk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:57 pm I use PWM for controlling pots via uC. let me know if I can be helpful

So, are you using PWM to charge an external capacitor / resistor network or something like that then feeding that to the pot inputs to the FV-1?
I feed the pot inputs of the FV1 after a low pass filter but done it directly with great results
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

The best way is to connect the 3 pots to the uC analogue inputs then PWM the uC output to the FV-1, if you use a 5v uC you will need to make sure the PWM output is converted for 3.3v.

EDIT - I see Sweetalk has suggested the same above.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
Videosplicer

Post by Videosplicer »

Thank you both for your replies. The controller I'm using is a little outdated by today's standards (MCF5206E) and has no PWM I/O. Don't ask me why I'm using that CPU, I have other reasons, but at least it is 3.3V :P

Anyway, project is moving along fine and deciding if the next version will incorporate the FV-1 or if I will have an optional add-on module that uses the FV-1. I have other questions about the FV-1 and will post them under other threads.

Thank You!