Extending FV-1 I/O

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

agsilvio

Extending FV-1 I/O

Post by agsilvio »

Hi team,
I have been searching the forums, without luck, on the topic of adding more I/O to the FV-1 system (i.e. adding more pots, or output leds). The forums have lots on detailed questions concerning that, but I'd like to ask this question at a higher level: What is a good approach for extending the FV-1 I/O such that everything would fit into a guitar pedal?

- Is it with a microcontroller? Which ones are a good fit?
- How is the connection done? Serial? I2C?

Just looking for a pointer in the right direction and I should be able to travel from there.

Please and thank you.
frank

Re: Extending FV-1 I/O

Post by frank »

Really depends on many factors, first figure out what can be done outside the chip (i.e. feedback might be able to be done in analog). If only a mono pedal can you use the second ADC and DAC for something? As to which micro, use one you already know unless you know it does not support what you need. If you know 8051 and it will do what you need why learn ARM and spend time learning a new micro rather than making a cool new pedal.

You need to decide what you want to build first then look at any requirements for micro, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Sweetalk

Re: Extending FV-1 I/O

Post by Sweetalk »

Just like Frank says, in a project first comes the "what" to start searching for the "how". There's a lot of tips and tricks you can do to expand some stuff on the FV1, but there's other things you cannot do with it, so first write down what are the things you want in your project and then start searching how to do them.