Good reverb for guitar amp

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

Aion

Good reverb for guitar amp

Post by Aion »

Hi All,

What algorithm do you recommend to simulate the spring reverb? Or which one is best suited to be used in the guitar amp?

I have checked many example reverb programs from www.spinsemi.com but they are not sounding like I wish.

What kind of reverb is used here http://www.mesaboogie.com/ ?

Thank you for an advice!
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

Spring is tricky. What I would suggest is to add a HPF that is pot adjustable at the end of your delay line. This should help give the "spring" to the reverb. Also, Frank has some nice comments here. http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55

Personally, I really like the sound of the Hall reverb program given in the free programs. I modified it, but it sounds really nice with an amp.
Aion

Post by Aion »

Thank you for advice. Which hall algorithm did you modify? Could you share the kind of modification you had made?

I think about adding a peaking filter or other frequency shaping to the reverb in the GA_DEMO guitar effect programs. I tried the original GA_DEMO reverb during a gig, but it is not sounding good.
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

No problem. It wasn't a hall reverb(though it sounds like it to my ears) but the ROM Reverb 1. After talking it over with a professor, the ideal way to go is modifying it to a four pole all pass filter. Basically I justed added a ap filter and took away the low pass as the high pass works more or less as a depth control.

~Brandon
Aion

Post by Aion »

Thank you again. Could you share the part of the code you had modified?
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

Here you go. I modded mine to mono so I just took one of the apf from the right and used that, though you could declare a new one if you wanted.

;get intputs and process with four APs each
;
rdax adcl, 0.5
rda lap1#, -0.5
wrap lap1, 0.5
rda lap2#, -0.5
wrap lap2, 0.5
rda lap3#, -0.5
wrap lap3, 0.5
rda lap4#, -0.5
wrap lap4, 0.5
rda rap1#, -0.5