OCT Effects Module Programming

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

donstavely

OCT Effects Module Programming

Post by donstavely »

Is there any provision for customer programming of the OCT Effects Module SKRM-C8? I notice that the EEPROM is SMT, not a socketed DIP. Are the I2C lines available on a header or test points? Is the write protect line tied high or low?

Does OCT sell the GA_DEMO board, which has the pots and selector switch on board? It looks like it has a programming header.

I would email OCT directly, but the server is down. Besides, OCT is you, right Frank?

Thanks
Don Stavely
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

Yes I got the dev. board from OCT.
donstavely

Post by donstavely »

Thanks B.C. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I got the dev board from OCT as well. (Funny that the OCT website doesn't list all products - only the one effects module.)

Now I am looking for alternatives for some in-form-factor protos (guitar stomp boxes). The dev board is overkill for this - pricey, too big, would need to replace the pots and selector switch with thru-panel parts. I will use the dev board to develop the algorithms and program the EEPROMs on the protos.

The GA_DEMO board as shown on the Spin website would be perfect, since it has the programming header. It is also nice that the pots and selector switch are included. The OCT SKRM module would be OK, but it doesn't look like it is set up for reprogramming.

I even considered the Tonepad board, but it has several serious errors. Also, it doesn't even have the EEPROM. I will lay out my own board at some point. I was hoping to just buy a few existing boards for now, if they were close to what I need.
Don Stavely
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

Ah, I see. Yeah, I understand. I am working on a PCB currently for a production board. It won't have the FPGA for the USB programming, but I'll use the development board for that.
frank

Post by frank »

Server still down (technically up but on life support), waiting on replacement parts to arrive. Try to always check in here a few times a day.

GA_DEMO was never put into production, was just an idea Keith had so boards are not available.

The SKRM-C8 boards can be programmed, the 2 pin header on the top of the board connects to the clock (pin closest to FV-1) and the data on the eeprom. We do not officially support this but a number of people are doing it.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
peterv

Post by peterv »

I've found a write-up on programming the eeprom:

http://st7-mcu.dxp.pl/interfacing-st7-w ... sembly.htm that could be of help. I recall that the read/write operation in the loop should be delayed 5mS for a flawless operation.