Soldering

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

B.C.

Soldering

Post by B.C. »

Ok, so I'm new at soldering these SOICs. Any suggestions?
frank

Post by frank »

Clean PCB, any oils or dirt will make it harder to solder.

Avoid using any flux other than what is in the solder (i.e. rosin core solder is ok)

NEVER use any solder/flux that cleans up with water, only use no clean type.

Put solder on the PCB pads at pins 1 and 15 (or 14 and 28, just make it diagonal across the chip)

Put chip in place and attach at pins 1 and 15

Solder remaining pins. If a pin gives you trouble, move on and come back to it, don't overheat it or risk damaging it.

Use THIN solder to avoid bridges between pins.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
livingston

Post by livingston »

Frank, I've been using a no-clean flux pen. It seems to make things easier, why do you suggest not to use it?

Definitely agree on all your other points, though. I bought Kester solder with water-soluble flux once - had no idea why all my builds for weeks did not work properly. Then I realized the flux is conductive. :x
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

Thank you guys!

I am not a big fan of flux so I tend not to use it.

My biggest issue is having solder run over multiple pins. I think I just need a thinner tip.
frank

Post by frank »

@livingston: If it works for you, keep doing it. As long as it is no-clean there shouldn't be a problem. The water soluble stuff is nasty, conductive (as you discovered the hard way) and often corrosive. I tend to do everything using lead-free/ROHS compliant stuff because of both EU and California regulations so I use rosin core silver/tin/copper solder.

@B.C.: Thin tip, thin solder. I'm using a Weller iron with 800F degree tips. Keep the tip clean and well tinned.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize