Flanger+RepeatedDelay+Reverb in one algorithm

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

Aion

Flanger+RepeatedDelay+Reverb in one algorithm

Post by Aion »

Is it possible to put these all effects into one algorithm?
It would be good to select them separately, using three pots inputs (connected to three button footswitch). The parameters (delay time, flanger LFO rate etc.) should be constant. The effect is intended for guitar.

Any suggestion/help how to code this is highly appreciated.
livingston

Post by livingston »

Definitely possible, but delay time for the delay section will be limited since some has to be allocated for the reverb and flanger.

The basic idea of chaining effects in the FV-1 is to do the first effect, put it to the input of the next one, etc. It's pretty simple.

Or if you want parallel effects, just read the ADC into each effect, and at the end of each effect's code, WRAX the effected signal to a register like "REVOUT", "FLANGOUT", etc. At the end of the code, use RDAX to load the outputs of each effect to the accumulator, then write to DAC.

So if you find the input and output of each individual effect (not always the first and last lines of code), it's quite simple to take the signal from the out of the delay and put it into the input of the flanger, etc.

To select them with footswitches just connect the pot inputs to a 20k resistor then to +3.3v. This should be the normal state, then to switch them off your footswitch should ground the pot input. How to code the on/off for the effects would depend on whether you're doing the effects in series or parallel. I'll elaborate if you tell us which you plan on doing.
Aion

Post by Aion »

Thank you very much for so fast response!
I would like to have all thre effects in the serial chain. I don't know which sequence of the effects will be best sounding. Therefore it would be good to write the code in the way, that will allow an easy interchanging the position of each effect in the chain. I think, that sequence Delay->Flanger->Reverb would be a good start point.

Thank you again!
Sweetalk

Post by Sweetalk »

livingston wrote:Definitely possible, but delay time for the delay section will be limited since some has to be allocated for the reverb and flanger.

The basic idea of chaining effects in the FV-1 is to do the first effect, put it to the input of the next one, etc. It's pretty simple.

Or if you want parallel effects, just read the ADC into each effect, and at the end of each effect's code, WRAX the effected signal to a register like "REVOUT", "FLANGOUT", etc. At the end of the code, use RDAX to load the outputs of each effect to the accumulator, then write to DAC.

So if you find the input and output of each individual effect (not always the first and last lines of code), it's quite simple to take the signal from the out of the delay and put it into the input of the flanger, etc.

To select them with footswitches just connect the pot inputs to a 20k resistor then to +3.3v. This should be the normal state, then to switch them off your footswitch should ground the pot input. How to code the on/off for the effects would depend on whether you're doing the effects in series or parallel. I'll elaborate if you tell us which you plan on doing.
This will be like a "mix control" between the effects when you run them in parallel?. Can you post an example code for it, I'm trying to do that but I'm just starting in programming the FV-1.

Thanks!!
livingston

Post by livingston »

Aion was saying that he/she wants to have all the parameters set permanently to some values in the code, and then to use the pot inputs as on/off switches for each effect. So this would leave you with no pot controls to do a mix pot. You'd have to do it externally, by sending one effect to DACR and another to DACL and then mixing them in analog.

I don't have any code, but to do it in parallel you just need to do as I said here: