A few questions about the development board

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

seancostello

A few questions about the development board

Post by seancostello »

Hi all:

My FV-1 development kit is kinda noisy now. Is it possible that the chip has been damaged, or have I just never heard the noise? (Disclaimer: running it off of USB power - I will try standalone power next).

Also, I have a friend that wants to try the FV-1. What is the development kit price now, and where do you order it?

Thanks,

Sean Costello
frank

Post by frank »

Hi Sean,

Either is a possibility, USB power can be noisy or something may be damaged. Difficult to say with out examining it.

Dev boards are available from the distributors, please contact the local one to your friend (OCT here in the Americas, Profusion in Europe, Microtips in Asia), contact info is on the Spin site.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
seancostello

Post by seancostello »

If the board is damaged, would swapping out the FV-1 fix it? Or is there some other component that could be causing the noise? It sounds like quantization error to me.
frank

Post by frank »

I'd poke around with a scope probe and if it looks like it is damage versus USB power my guess is that swapping the FV-1 would fix it since it is the only active component in the signal path.

Is the noise always there? Does it need a lot of gain (external amp) to be heard? How old is the board?
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize