Addressing external memory?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

livingston

Addressing external memory?

Post by livingston »

I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this, but is there any way to get the FV-1 to interface with external memory? Even kind of a kludge solution?

By this I mean, not program memory but delay memory, to allow coding a looper, or any recorder requiring more than 2 seconds of delay (2 seconds of course only available at 16khz).
frank

Post by frank »

Nope, there is no external memory interface in the chip.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
wurgle

EPROM interface

Post by wurgle »

Hi

Is there no way the EPROM interface could be used to add extra RAM, something like the Microchip SRAM.

A basic PIC could be used as a memory manager?

The limited memory on the FV-1 is its limiting factor. A digital 24 bit IO so it could be paired with a high quality CODEC and pump up the 96dB SNR would also be really great for higher end stuff. Are there any plans for a FV-2?
Wurgle
frank

Post by frank »

Nope, data memory and program memory (EEPROM interface) are 100% separate so there is no way to use an external memory device.

No specific FV-2 plans but we are always looking at comments, market, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
djmalan

Post by djmalan »

I dream about mb level memory,7 outputs ,14pot interfaces both analog and digital and latch or memory for this,internal selectable clock freq.,become possible to use as a digital mixer channel ,code protection ,internal and external eeprom interface,segment display output ,selectable with rotary encoder and 4 up down program change switch (2 for tens,2 for ones) ,9 bits of program change availability etc. :lol:
frank

Post by frank »

djmalan wrote: I dream about mb level memory,7 outputs ,14pot interfaces both analog and digital and latch or memory for this,internal selectable clock freq.,become possible to use as a digital mixer channel ,code protection ,internal and external eeprom interface,segment display output ,selectable with rotary encoder and 4 up down program change switch (2 for tens,2 for ones) ,9 bits of program change availability etc. :lol:
Just add "and make it less than $2.00" and you would be perfect in marketing 8)
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
livingston

Post by livingston »

:D In all seriousness, Frank, I'd be willing to pay a chunk more than the price of the FV-1 for some upgraded features. I wouldn't expect anything quite as deluxe as the above, but just more expandability in terms of memory, a few more pot inputs or some kind of modularity with pot inputs, and faster pot tracking. A $20 chip isn't crazy to me if it had some of that expandability.
djmalan

Post by djmalan »

Is there anyone who sells the FV-1 for 2$ ,I want nothing more.Because I haven't forget the days yet,that I used to pay 4$ for 4 pieces of PT2399 to get very simple reverb sound with using them in 4 comb filters. :)
MacroMachines

Post by MacroMachines »

djmalan wrote:
I dream about mb level memory,7 outputs ,14pot interfaces both analog and digital and latch or memory for this,internal selectable clock freq.,become possible to use as a digital mixer channel ,code protection ,internal and external eeprom interface,segment display output ,selectable with rotary encoder and 4 up down program change switch (2 for tens,2 for ones) ,9 bits of program change availability etc. :lol:
have you ever heard of a micro controller? :P
check out the arduino teensy 3.2 or stm32f407 discovery board, both are under 20 dollars for the dev board and you can do all these things. I am using them with the FV-1 together and its fantastic.
http://MacroMachines.net
Digital Control for your Analog Soul.
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

I do recall reading about 'Spin DV-1 Makes it to fab back in 2007', We never found out what the DV-1 was going to be and possibly never will now, I'm also guessing it would have been Keith Barr designed IC.

The Fv-1 is very popular with many commercial pedal builders now so I expect still quite a long life for this IC but it would be good for a new development of a more powerful DSP. A definite plus would be the ability to use an external 24bit/96kHz codec chip, a couple more control pots which would also mean more program lines to fit the coding in. I'm sure I can think of some other inclusions. Adding extra function of course will result in a more expensive DSP but i'm sure it would be worth it.