Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

dingebre

Win 7 driver? Any good books?

Post by dingebre »

Hi,

New to the list and the FV-1.

A couple of questions, please.

1. The driver seems to install fine under Vista 32 bit, but I can't get it to install under Windows 7 64 bit. Is there a Win 7 driver or am I out of luck?

2. I fear any book I have on signal processing is 10 to 20 years old at least, reflecting the last time I was programming board level processors. Any suggestions on a book or two on algorithm design, especially if there is any focus on the FV-1 chip?

Thanks
David
David M. Ingebretsen
Collision Forensics & Enginering, Inc.

www.CFandE.com
frank

Re: Win 7 driver? Any good books?

Post by frank »

dingebre wrote: 1. The driver seems to install fine under Vista 32 bit, but I can't get it to install under Windows 7 64 bit. Is there a Win 7 driver or am I out of luck?
Hmmm, don't have a W7 machine here yet to test. Will talk to Keith about this later today.
dingebre wrote: 2. I fear any book I have on signal processing is 10 to 20 years old at least, reflecting the last time I was programming board level processors. Any suggestions on a book or two on algorithm design, especially if there is any focus on the FV-1 chip?
I do not know of any books that focus on the FV-1, but your old DSP books should be fine to get started. I would recommend doing a quick refresher using them then jump into the "Knowledge base" on the Spin site and read Keith's stuff.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
dingebre

Post by dingebre »

Thank you Frank. I can use the laptop for development, but the Win 7 desktop is much more convenient physically and all my other tools are on it, not the laptop.

More specifically, when I plug in the USB cable, Windows tries and fails to find the driver, OK so far. When I browse to the driver folder, it tells me there is not a compatible driver for my device in the folder. As I said, ir works fine with Vista 32 bit.

I saw the great material in the knowledge base after I posted. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll dust of "Digital Signal Processing" and do a refresh on digital filter design.
David M. Ingebretsen
Collision Forensics & Enginering, Inc.

www.CFandE.com
seancostello

Post by seancostello »

A few good books from the last decade:

http://www2.hsu-hh.de/ant/dafx2002/DAFX_Book_Page/ - Totally relevant to the FV-1 chip. Various audio effects. After chapter 7 or so, the effects move into the frequency domain, but all the time domain stuff could be used on the FV-1.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072865466/ - My favorite recent general purpose DSP textbook of the last decade. Much more up to date than Oppenheim/Schaefer, as it goes into polyphase DSP, parallel allpass decomposition, and other tricks. However, much of this stuff will tax the abilities of the FV-1.

The older textbooks are still quite relevant for the FV-1. My 1975 copy of Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim/Schaefer, and my copy of the 1975 Rabiner/Gold textbook, are still full of great stuff, and I paid very little for these compared to modern textbooks.

The "Informal Notes" and example algorithms for the FV-1 are pretty fantastic as well.

Sean Costello
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if there was any news on the Windows 7 compatibility? I haven't been able to get my Windows 7 machine to recognize/see the dev board yet. (I just got the board today and haven't tried much yet, figured I'd check it out here first.)

Haven't really had a chance to mess with the programs yet but what a cool chip, I'm really excited about it!
frank

Post by frank »

Drivers are supposed to be in development, will try to call Keith later today to see if he has heard status from the programmer.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks, Frank, much appreciated!
frank

Post by frank »

Looks like it will be a few weeks yet.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

No sweat, Frank, I can make due in the meantime! And thanks for checking on it for us.
BrianNeunaber

Post by BrianNeunaber »

Any news on the Windows 7 driver?
frank

Post by frank »

Checking on what is taking so long...
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
analoguebus

Post by analoguebus »

I also was needing to see if a Windows 7 driver is ready or even in beta state. I don't know why I was so stupid in converting all of my dev machines to 7, I think the reasoning at the time was (most) of my other board drivers had been ported for my wild collection of eval boards, test boards, programmers, etc.

Finally got my eval board in and wanting to try out a few ideas...thank yll for making this DSP, it is like a quick sketch but highly powerful DSP designer, the Arduino of DSP dev. I do not mean that in a bad way, it is fabulous! So much more preferred than setting up my FPGA Spartan or Virtex!

Thanks!
Bryan (in need of a driver) Small
frank

Post by frank »

Checked on it, still being worked on.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize