Spin Semiconductor Forum Index Spin Semiconductor
Support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phaser/allpass filter code
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spin Semiconductor Forum Index -> Algorithm development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seancostello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdroberts1243 wrote:

I don't understand the 'post' processing chorus stuff that is done in a lot of the reverb example programmes... is that explained anywhere? I'm trying to implement the modulated output taps directly in the allpass as shown in a lot of reverb flow-diagrams instead.

It's not really post-processing, so much as a decision about where to place the modulation code in the code listing. You could construct an allpass filter by writing into a delay, reading out a modulated tap, and then putting feedforward and feedback paths around the structure, but this would take more cycles than the 2-cycle allpasses that the FV-1 can perform. So, the Spin Semi examples modulate the allpass delays by the following process:

- Calculate the allpass delay using the 2-cycle method;
- Perform a modulated read from somewhere in the "middle" of the delay memory INSIDE of the allpass delay;
- Write the result back into the allpass delay memory.

In order to do this, you need to allow room for the modulation width. Otherwise, you might write to a location that precedes where you read from in time, and you will create an unstable feedback loop. So, if you read from location N, and your modulation width is M, you should write to a memory location that is greater than or equal to N+M. Don't forget to incorporate this modulation width room into the delay length of your allpasses.

Sean Costello
mdroberts1243

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank & Sean!

Sean, is the chorus modification of the 'interior' values equivalent to reading from a variable end-point like the Dattorro paper block diagram does? Could I simplify my implementation of the Plate (separate thread) by using the two-step AP where possible and then doing a chorus modification at the end of the code?
MacroMachines

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seancostello wrote:

- Calculate the allpass delay using the 2-cycle method;
- Perform a modulated read from somewhere in the "middle" of the delay memory INSIDE of the allpass delay;
- Write the result back into the allpass delay memory.

In order to do this, you need to allow room for the modulation width. Otherwise, you might write to a location that precedes where you read from in time, and you will create an unstable feedback loop. So, if you read from location N, and your modulation width is M, you should write to a memory location that is greater than or equal to N+M. Don't forget to incorporate this modulation width room into the delay length of your allpasses.

Sean Costello

Do you possibly have an example of this I could reference? I think I understand the structure but not confident I understand the implementation.
MacroMachines

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im working on a version so I can set the all pass delay time and coefficient dynamically, Im currently looking for a good way to scale the value for addr_ptr. Im assuming something like:

SOF maxLength/32767, offset.

Is there any comprehensive example of how to work with variable delay times? The best I have found so far is the OEM_5 which is an analog style echo and also features manual interpolation which appears to require a fair number of SOF opcodes to scale up the interpolation coefficient. Are there any other methods for interpolation of a variable delay line that might take less ops? I have read the application notes on the ramp and tried the technique in there but it doesn't appear to work with adds_ptr and is causing some very odd results in my tests.

Code:

mem   delay      2000
equ   temp      reg0
equ   coefficient   pot0
equ   time      pot1

rdax   time,   1
wrax   addr_ptr,   0

rdax   adcl,   1
wrax    temp,    0
rmpa   1
;rda    delay#,    1    ; allpass with WRAP replaced to use variable coefficient
mulx    coefficient
rdax    temp,   1    ; add input *NEW*
wra    delay,    -1    ; store to delay and then negate ACC
mulx    coefficient    ; apply 'negative' coefficient
rmpa   1
;rda    delay#,    1    ; add in the end entry in the delay

wrax   dacl,   1
wrax   dacr,   0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spin Semiconductor Forum Index -> Algorithm development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: