newbie help - filters

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

grid1

newbie help - filters

Post by grid1 »

Here is what I am trying to make: 3 pots for bass, mid and treble + 1 band of parametric EQ. I have read all the documentation on your site but I am still not sure how to proceed. I downloaded act_xover.spn which is useful but I don't know how to calculate the EQ parameters. Any help appreciated including what types of filters to use and further documentation - or a good book to read - or website?
Thanks.
livingston

Post by livingston »

What kind of response are you looking for? Extreme filter response or the subtle response of a Fender amp? How do you plan to control the parametric band when you've used 3 pots for bass mid and treble?
grid1

Post by grid1 »

I'm trying to mimic the response of a typical bass amp. Maybe I'll mimic a few different bass amps. Then I'll have the the 3 pots for added EQ. I borrowed a few books from the library but I'm still lost. It's not the programming it's the alogoriths...what to use, how to use them. Is there a good simulator to use?
frank

Post by frank »

Start with Keith's notes, read all the sections in order don't try to skip ahead as certain ideas build on others. http://www.spinsemi.com/knowledge_base.html
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize