External SampleClock ?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Zimbo

External SampleClock ?

Post by Zimbo »

Hello there,

i am thinking about building a synth-modul with the FV-1...
actualy i`m not so much into programming that i can realy answer this questions myself and i would like to know some things before i decide to mergle my brain learning it....

first i would like to ask if its generaly possible to "drive" the chip from an external oszilator with variable frequency. i thought it might be used to adjust betqween higher resolution + less delaytime and lower res. + more time. also jittering, glitches or more drastical effects caused from frequency modulation might be interesting for me...

is that possible with the FV-1 ?

other question:

i read in this forum about the possebillitie to use a pot input as a kind of clock or tap - would it be possible to reset the internal lfo`s this way, for example reset lfo when a specivic value is measured at the pot -in?

best regards

zimbo
pharaohamps

Re: External SampleClock ?

Post by pharaohamps »

Zimbo wrote:
first i would like to ask if its generaly possible to "drive" the chip from an external oszilator with variable frequency. i thought it might be used to adjust betqween higher resolution + less delaytime and lower res. + more time. also jittering, glitches or more drastical effects caused from frequency modulation might be interesting for me...

is that possible with the FV-1 ?
http://www.spinsemi.com/freeform/XTAL.htm

You can drive the crystal clock with a variable oscillator, yes.
Zimbo wrote: i read in this forum about the possebillitie to use a pot input as a kind of clock or tap - would it be possible to reset the internal lfo`s this way, for example reset lfo when a specivic value is measured at the pot -in?

best regards

zimbo
The POT inputs are read once per clock cylce, and you can use them in any way you would use a fixed constant in a program. Delay time, modulation speed, filter cutoff, anything like that. Any parameter you program into the chip can be controlled by a POT input, and more than one parameter can be controlled by one POT. I have a delay program, for instance, that lowers the cutoff freq. of a lowpass filter as the delay time increases, to simulate the response of an analog or tape delay.

Matt Farrow
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Thank you very much, that is enough for know- i just ordered an ev-board... i also found the first question allready answered two topics below-
so next time i will try not to ask questions allready answerd on this side..

thanx again & best regards

zimbo