delay not working

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

differo

delay not working

Post by differo »

I build a stompbox before with fv-1 succesfully and it's permanent on my board and I even used it for all of my guitar stuff when I record (love the reverb!). For the people checking it out I say build it! for sound sample (reverb) check out my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeToneful

On all my videos I use fv-1 reverb.

Anyways, yesterday I built another one. This time cleaner version, with eprom support. It fired up right after last wire was soldered. But! Delay(echo) is not there. Every effect work fine, pitch shift, reverb, chorus, flanger, debug(bypass). But no echo. Really strange? then I fiddled with eprom, finally managed to download some code to it using ponyprog I think (after trying several others that wouldn't work with my JDM programmer). I flip the switch to using eprom programs, it works besides the echo?! Then I re-programmed the eprom shuffling the programs (thought that I would try putting pitch-echo program in different position, it didn't help). Just wondering if anyone had similar problem or if there are some reported failures on this? My guess is that reverb uses 'delay-circuitry' somehow and it's working (reverbs). Weird..
frank

Post by frank »

That is very strange, if reverb works then echo has to work as they use exactly the same memory and DSP core. I am assuming you are using the built in programs in the FV-1.

Can you post the schematic? Also check voltages at POT inputs, make sure that they change as you adjust the pots.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
differo

Post by differo »

I posted link to the schematics in my other post (on microcontroller) but here it is again:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=122

anyway, I just downloaded the simple echo program (that you answered to in the algorithm section) and I put in on all 8 possible eeprom addresses - on each and every one (when I run from eeprom) all pots are working fine. I can adjust time, repeats and some sort of mix with that simple echo program. But when I change to rom presets and to pitch/echo program, I only can adjust the pitch pot - other two do nothing. All the other programs in the rom are performing as they should. Really weird. I don't think I burned anything (while soldering) so this is a real bugger..
frank

Post by frank »

This is really strange because if the example here works then the internal program should work. Not sure where to go from here, do you see anything strange on any pins?
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
slacker

Post by slacker »

I don't know if this is the answer to your problem but on the pitch echo program the pitch shift is on one channel and the echo is on the other, so if you only use one output you may only get pitch shifting. Presumably the same thing would happen if you only use one of the inputs. Any problems with the circuit between the input or output jacks and the Fv-1 could cause this as well.

This had me confused the other day as I had been happily using the echo, came back later and must have plugged into the other output and got what appeared to be two pitch shift programs and no echo.