variable oscillator circuit

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

sandromatik

variable oscillator circuit

Post by sandromatik »

Hi,
I never worked with inverters,
so I was wondering which IC should I buy to build the application circuit shown on the data sheet to build the variable clock oscillator.
Also, is there some IC which contains all the smoothed wave oscillator circuit needed for this application?
thank you!!
sandro
frank

Re: variable oscillator circuit

Post by frank »

sandromatik wrote:Hi,
I never worked with inverters,
so I was wondering which IC should I buy to build the application circuit shown on the data sheet to build the variable clock oscillator.
You will typically use a CMOS '04 type inverter like the 74HC1GU04 in the diagram with the crystal but a buffered version (i.e. 74HC04) may work in this case as well.
sandromatik wrote: Also, is there some IC which contains all the smoothed wave oscillator circuit needed for this application?
Not that I know of.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
sandromatik

Post by sandromatik »

thanks Frank
I would like to make something like a tape delay emulation with FV-1,
so I was thinking to change clock speed to change the delay time,
is it practical or it would be better to study a bit more, buy an evaluation board and write a program? :-)
thanks for the quick reply
sandro
frank

Post by frank »

sandromatik wrote:thanks Frank
I would like to make something like a tape delay emulation with FV-1,
so I was thinking to change clock speed to change the delay time,
is it practical or it would be better to study a bit more, buy an evaluation board and write a program? :-)
thanks for the quick reply
sandro
There are advantage and disadvantages to using the clock speed to change the delay time. Unless you really must do it this way I recommend using one of the POT inputs to control the read pointer (ADDR_PTR register) and adjust the position of the read pointer to change the delay length.

If you really want to get into programming the FV-1 you will need some form of development system. The FV-1 eval board is a simple way to do it, USB interface so you can download direct to the board. If you like to build your own system and have an EPROM programmer that can burn 24LC32A parts you can build your own board, use SpinAsm to assemble the code and create an Intel HEX file then burn it to an EEPROM.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
sandromatik

Post by sandromatik »

yes Frank,
I want to try!
from Europe the easiest thing is to buy from profusion?
or can I get a demo board cheaper somewhere else?
thank you very much
sandro
frank

Post by frank »

Yes, Profusion is the Spin distributor for Europe so if you want to get the dev board you will need to order it from them.

Only cheaper solution is to make your own but you will need a programmer for the 24LC32A (there are cheap ones you can get from Microchip), there is an FV-1 project on the DIYStompboxes board but it uses a surface mount eeprom, you will want to change it to a DIP to program yourself.
Last edited by frank on Thu May 19, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
sandromatik

Post by sandromatik »

hey thanks for the quick replies,
with such a support forum I'll order one as soon as I can!
I'll see you later around here when programming :-)
have a good time
sandro