Newbee questions : programming the 24LC32A

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Jerem

Newbee questions : programming the 24LC32A

Post by Jerem »

Hi ! I have some questions about the 24LC32A :

- What kind of software I have to use to program the eeprom?

- I want to insert 8 différents free DSP programs into my eeprom. Can I directly use .spn or I have to convert it into different extension?

- How can I choose adress into the eeprom to stock DSP programs? And what are the adress for 24LC32A?

- Can I use 8 differents DSP programs files or I have to use only 1 file with the programmation software?

Thank a lot for your help!
frank

Re: Newbee questions : programming the 24LC32A

Post by frank »

Jerem wrote: - What kind of software I have to use to program the eeprom?
You will need a device programmer and driver and software for it. If you are unfamiliar with using device programmers then find a friend that is and they can help you or see the Microchip site as they make the 24LC32A and sell programmers.
Jerem wrote: - I want to insert 8 différents free DSP programs into my eeprom. Can I directly use .spn or I have to convert it into different extension?
Typically they will need to be assembled into a HEX file for the device programmer.
Jerem wrote: - How can I choose adress into the eeprom to stock DSP programs? And what are the adress for 24LC32A?
I'm unsure what you are asking here. If you mean the device address then the FV-1 expects it at 0, if you mean the address for each program then that is taken care of automatically in SpinAsm.
Jerem wrote: - Can I use 8 differents DSP programs files or I have to use only 1 file with the programmation software?
8 different files, see the SpinAsm manual and the section on projects.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Jerem

Post by Jerem »

Thank for your answer and your help. So if I correctly understand, I have to use SpinAsm to create an .hex file with the 8 DSP programs I want.
As soon this hex file is created, I can directly use it with my eeprom programmer, that it?
frank

Post by frank »

Jerem wrote:Thank for your answer and your help. So if I correctly understand, I have to use SpinAsm to create an .hex file with the 8 DSP programs I want.
As soon this hex file is created, I can directly use it with my eeprom programmer, that it?
Typically, yes. I say "typically" because I did hear from someone that bought a really cheap programmer off a website and the software didn't read HEX files, they needed binary and SpinAsm won't create a binary file. They finally got it converted to binary but then ran into other problems with the driver for the programmer. So make sure any programmer you get can read hex format (also called Intel HEX), write to 24LC32A, has a driver for your OS, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize