Pitch shift w/o the delay?

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

dslocum

Pitch shift w/o the delay?

Post by dslocum »

Is it possible to get a pitch shifter without the delay in the demo software? Or at least minimize the delay significantly?

And a follow-on to that... Is it possible to reduce the slight pulsing effect with or without the delay?

Thanks

Doug
frank

Re: Pitch shift w/o the delay?

Post by frank »

dslocum wrote:Is it possible to get a pitch shifter without the delay in the demo software? Or at least minimize the delay significantly?
You can use a shorter delay length (assuming you are not already using the shortest one) but you will lose shifting of lower frequencies. This is due to the fact we are using a buffer to hold the data and playing it back faster than the data is entering the buffer.
dslocum wrote: And a follow-on to that... Is it possible to reduce the slight pulsing effect with or without the delay?

Thanks

Doug
The pulsing is due to the pointers having to cross-fade from the beginning of the buffer back around to the end. So how much pulsing you hear is due to the audio content, i.e. frequencies with a wavelength that is an integer multiple of the buffer length will exhibit little pulsing while those that are not will exhibit more pulsing.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
diydsp

Possibly use two shifters

Post by diydsp »

Heya,

I read your post a while back and had a thought...

Since the FV-1 can easily run two pitch scalers at the same time, perhaps you could simultaneously run one with a small buffer and one with a large buffer. That way you'll get a shorter delay on the small buffer. That will make transients sound better. I have never tried this, but it's worth a shot. I believe elsewhere in this forum you can find my code for running two pitch shifters at once.
frank

Post by frank »

You would be mixing 2 signals with a delay between them, you'll probably get a comb effect. Maybe a moving comb as the pointers on the 2 different delays buffers are always moving the exact delay between the 2 outputs will also always be moving and jumping.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize