pitch shifter selector??

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

copachino

pitch shifter selector??

Post by copachino »

hi, im pretty noob in this world jeje, i want to buy this FV-1, but i want to make a pitch shifter, that not only pitch 1 octave high or down, but also select to pitch on notes like example to pitch on A, C-, i know its gonna be hard to program, but for now i just want to know if its possible, for selecting i would like to have a momentary 3pdt switch and maybe a small LCD to select and see the selected pitch...

can it be done with this chip??
frank

Post by frank »

I am unclear by what you mean "select to pitch on notes like example to pitch on A, C-".

As for an LCD you would need a micro to run that, the FV-1 has no capability to drive an LCD.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
copachino

Post by copachino »

i know about the LCD, as for the C, and A, i mean, to change the scale o tone to tuning A, or tuning C, not just scales up or down but a whole scale in A, B, C,G, im not sure if im telling right, or saying what i want to say
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

copachino wrote:i know about the LCD, as for the C, and A, i mean, to change the scale o tone to tuning A, or tuning C, not just scales up or down but a whole scale in A, B, C,G, im not sure if im telling right, or saying what i want to say
If I read you correctly, I think you mean intelligent harmonizing so if you play in the key of let s A minor and select minor thirds as the pitch shift it will correctly play the correct interval for that scale ?? Or do you mean a way to change the tuning of an instrument ie if a guitar is tuned to standard tuning the FV-1 will allow for a DADGAD tuning without having to retune the guitar.

I think both are way way beyond what the FV-1 can do.
copachino

Post by copachino »

i was talking about an intelligent harmonizer.... as for harmonizer with the fv-1, i can only get octaves???
frank

Post by frank »

You can do shifts of less than an octave, see http://www.spinsemi.com/Products/appnot ... N-0001.pdf That will tell you how to use the pitch shifter and calculate the coefficients.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

copachino wrote:i was talking about an intelligent harmonizer.... as for harmonizer with the fv-1, i can only get octaves???
Yes you can get different shifts in pitch but not intelligent scale harmonizing. You could do 5ths perfect 4ths and octaves easily.
copachino

Post by copachino »

i have read the formula to get the coefficients, but, im still not sure how to get different pitchs, with only one chip, i mean, how can exactly choose 4thm pitch, and tehn a 5th or a 3th, without having to program the eprom more than once, i was thinking about use a 7pst switch, but im not sure if its possible too
slacker

Post by slacker »

You can use a pot skip routine to make a pot select different pitches
http://www.spinsemi.com/knowledge_base/ ... p_routines There's an example here http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296
copachino

Post by copachino »

but, its not exactly a seleccion, i cant know very well which pitch to choose, i will be moving the pot and adjust to ear
slacker

Post by slacker »

The pot skip code makes the pot work like a rotary switch, so it could act like a 7 position switch, each position would give a different interval a third, a fourth or what ever you wanted.
copachino

Post by copachino »

i undertand, but a pot its a pot, its not a switch so, i cant be sure if im into de value of the pot to change the pitch or not, la a 7pst switch
slacker

Post by slacker »

I see what you mean, you can use a multi position switch and resistors instead of a pot, have a look at page 8 of this http://www.electricdruid.net/datasheets ... asheet.pdf for an example.
copachino

Post by copachino »

its it possible to use this chips as voice harmonizer???, do i have to change the code or will work the same of the from guitar???