Lofi Vinyl effect

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

potul

Lofi Vinyl effect

Post by potul »

Hi

I'm interested in developing a "lofi Vinyl" effect. The idea would be to add some flutter, maybe some bandwidth reduction and add crakle noises.

Regarding the first 2, I have an idea on how to proceed, but for the crakle noises I don't know where to start. Any brilliant ideas?

Mat
Digital Larry

Re: Lofi Vinyl effect

Post by Digital Larry »

I would (using SpinCAD, of course) set up a noise generator going into a S/H. This generates your typical random step waveform. Next you'd want to filter that using a low pass and scale the output to feed to the LFO input of the S/H, so it's not at a constant frequency. Highpass filter the S/H waveform output to give you "clicks". Adjust everything to taste.

Have I tried it? Not exactly.
smear

Post by smear »

if it's a mono effect, maybe you could just amplify and highpass the sound from the unused input? might sound crackly enough
potul

Post by potul »

Digital Larry wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:07 am I would (using SpinCAD, of course) set up a noise generator going into a S/H. This generates your typical random step waveform. Next you'd want to filter that using a low pass and scale the output to feed to the LFO input of the S/H, so it's not at a constant frequency. Highpass filter the S/H waveform output to give you "clicks". Adjust everything to taste.

Have I tried it? Not exactly.
Are you suggesting to randomize the frequency of the S/H using it's own output? I hope the universe will not collapse. :D

Good approach, I will give it a try.

The other proposal of amplifying the unsused input is a curious one.... is the idea to use the existing noise of this input instead of a S/H?
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

potul wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:46 am Are you suggesting to randomize the frequency of the S/H using it's own output? I hope the universe will not collapse. :D
Yes, that's what I'm proposing. I'm sure there is some theoretical stability consideration but it is beyond me. I'm pretty sure I did this at one time. I also realized it only simulates "random" surface noise and wouldn't be good for scratches that actually repeat at the RPM rate. You'd need a different LFO for that. Also, some surface gouges result in more of a WHUMP than a little "tic". This is left as an exercise for the reader. :lol:
potul

Post by potul »

If anyone interested, I found this paper on simulating vinyl artifacts

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... recordings
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

potul wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:59 pm If anyone interested, I found this paper on simulating vinyl artifacts

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... recordings
Cool, I used to work with Perry Cook and sold him a mandolin.