Multiple FV-1 chips sharing the same EEPROM?

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

DirtyHarry

Multiple FV-1 chips sharing the same EEPROM?

Post by DirtyHarry »

As the title says, is it possible to use multiple FV-1 chips (up to eight) connected parallel that share the same EEPROM memory, each FV-1 using his own memory program on the EEPROM?
slacker

Post by slacker »

I haven't tried multiple FV-1s but you can program the EEPROM whilst it is connected to the FV-1 so having two master devices connected at once works, which is essentially what you're doing if you connect multiple FV-1s. So I'd guess it will work but you will need to ensure only one FV-1 tries to access the EEPROM at a time.
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

The only thing that pops to mind is that all he@# is going to break loose on power up unless they are sequenced in some way.
DirtyHarry

Post by DirtyHarry »

Digital Larry wrote:The only thing that pops to mind is that all he@# is going to break loose on power up unless they are sequenced in some way.
I tried it and in 50% cases that is exactly what happens at power up. :(
I put clipping LEDs on both FV-1 (just to monitor possible input clipping) and when power up, sometimes it works like charm, both chips running their programs with no problem but sometimes clipping LEDS light up and one of the chips (or sometimes both ) "freeze" and I need to unplug one from power supply to reset it.
Any idea how to make them power up in sequence?
frank

Post by frank »

Power them all up in internal mode then flip them to external mode one at a time after giving enough time for each to load its program before going to the next.

Easiest to use separate EEPROMS, 24LC32As are cheap.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize