Newbie !

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

amongstmyselves

Newbie !

Post by amongstmyselves »

Hi all,

I am newbie to these devices. I purchase several of the SKRM-C8 modules earlier in the year with the plan to make up a few different effects units for my music studio and have only got back to looking at their use.

I have several questions now that I've had a look around this forum.

1) I am presuming that I can reprogram these modules the same way that the fv-1 can be programmed ?

2) Can I download and save the current programs from the EEPROMs and reload them later ?

3) I've found the resource of patches at Free DSP Programs part of the web site but I was wondering if the programs that exist on the several varieties of SKRM-C8 modules are stored somewhere ?

4) I also wondering why the FV-1 can have 16 programs whereas the modules only have 8 ?

Thanks for the great little beasts !

Steve
Digital Larry

Re: Newbie !

Post by Digital Larry »

amongstmyselves wrote:
1) I am presuming that I can reprogram these modules the same way that the fv-1 can be programmed ?
The FV-1 itself cannot be programmed. You can program the external EEPROM which is (optionally) connected to it. From what Frank has said, Experimental Noize does not support this activity on the modules, so they won't tell you how to do it or support you if you mess it up by trying.
2) Can I download and save the current programs from the EEPROMs and reload them later ?
Maybe theoretically, but again that is not supported by the vendor and it may violate some reverse engineering clause in a licensing agreement (just guessing).
3) I've found the resource of patches at Free DSP Programs part of the web site but I was wondering if the programs that exist on the several varieties of SKRM-C8 modules are stored somewhere ?
Some of the ROM programs are in the free programs area but not all of them.
4) I also wondering why the FV-1 can have 16 programs whereas the modules only have 8 ?
The FV-1 has 8 built-in permanent patches, for which you don't need an external EEPROM. When you add an EEPROM you get an extra 8 which you can program. On the modules, only the external programs are made available. There is a pin on the chip to toggle between internal and external programs. I forget whether this pin comes out to the module header
frank

Re: Newbie !

Post by frank »

Digital Larry wrote:
amongstmyselves wrote:
The FV-1 itself cannot be programmed. You can program the external EEPROM which is (optionally) connected to it. From what Frank has said, Experimental Noize does not support this activity on the modules, so they won't tell you how to do it or support you if you mess it up by trying.
This is one on those situations that if you have to ask how then you aren't experienced enough to do it, if you are experienced enough to do it you don't need to ask how.
Digital Larry wrote:
amongstmyselves wrote: 2) Can I download and save the current programs from the EEPROMs and reload them later ?
Maybe theoretically, but again that is not supported by the vendor and it may violate some reverse engineering clause in a licensing agreement (just guessing).
Making a copy of the EEPROM falls under a copyright violation. I have no issues with true reverse engineering but making EEPROM copies, disassembling the code, etc. are NOT reverse engineering. That is just copying.
Digital Larry wrote:
amongstmyselves wrote: 3) I've found the resource of patches at Free DSP Programs part of the web site but I was wondering if the programs that exist on the several varieties of SKRM-C8 modules are stored somewhere ?
Some of the ROM programs are in the free programs area but not all of them.
All the code for the FV-1 built in programs in in the Free DSP area, the module code is not, I am a business after all and need to have an income stream.
Digital Larry wrote:
amongstmyselves wrote: 4) I also wondering why the FV-1 can have 16 programs whereas the modules only have 8 ?
The FV-1 has 8 built-in permanent patches, for which you don't need an external EEPROM. When you add an EEPROM you get an extra 8 which you can program. On the modules, only the external programs are made available. There is a pin on the chip to toggle between internal and external programs. I forget whether this pin comes out to the module header
Pin does not come out to the header.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
amongstmyselves

Thank you both for the information.

I believe I am experienced enough to reprogram these boards. I do have 6 of them so if I manage to destroy one I am not overly concerned, just annoyed.

I mainly wanted to be able to download the programs and restore them. I'm not trying to reverse engineer at all. Just wanting to play around with them and deciding which best programs will work with my analogue synth setup.
frank

Post by frank »

amongstmyselves wrote: I believe I am experienced enough to reprogram these boards. I do have 6 of them so if I manage to destroy one I am not overly concerned, just annoyed.
Well, I 'll say this then, on the 2-pin header on top D is data and C is clock.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
amongstmyselves

Thanks Frank. These are wonderful units !