NAMM 2017

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

ice-nine

NAMM 2017

Post by ice-nine »

Hi Frank,
I just wondered if you are at NAMM this year and wondered what you might be showing ?
frank

Post by frank »

I am, hall E 1298

Showing existing pedals, some class D amp modules we are distributing and the new chip we hope to have ready mid year.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

NEW CHIP!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

I wish I could be there to check out your stand, but i'm in England so won't make it.

Very interested in the Class D amp module as I am working with some of these on a project at the moment.

NEW CHIP for mid year sounds so exciting. :)

Have fun at NAMM.
Danila-master

Post by Danila-master »

Could you please provide more details regarding a new chip ?
frank

Post by frank »

We are making some minor updates to our website and will post some info there in the near future. Still catching up from being at NAMM.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

frank wrote:We are making some minor updates to our website and will post some info there in the near future. Still catching up from being at NAMM.
Hi Frank , when you say updates to the website will that be on the SpinSemi or the Experimental Noize websites ?
frank

Post by frank »

Experimental Noize, the chip is an EN chip so info will appear there.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Image Image Image
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

Oooohhhh.. ahhhhh. thx :)
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

The specs are looking nice.
MacroMachines

Post by MacroMachines »

MOAR MOAR MOAR! Info!

will this be using a similar ASM language / IDE?
Was planning to release an FV-1 based product line later this year, wondering if it will translate or if I should shift my plans to accommodate this new platform? Bit of a pivotal moment for this to pop up.
http://MacroMachines.net
Digital Control for your Analog Soul.
frank

Post by frank »

Similar but not identical language and IDE. You should be able to translate your code over with a little work.

Go forward with the FV-1 development, as we cannot yet give a release date there is no reason to hold back what you are doing.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
MacroMachines

Post by MacroMachines »

Ok cool :) maybe it will come together in time for a mark2 or second tier product line in a year and a half or so, that would be rad.

Ive been getting some very interesting things with the FV-1, I think I have found some useful techniques. I would like to put forth a couple suggestions here if I may, in light of caviats I have been finding in the FV-1 limitations:
  • 1) it is very useful to have the ability to access blocks of memory without inherent circulating buffer addressing. I do agree that most common applications of delays, reverbs, and pitch shifting can benefit from the ease of simply writing and reading from a different point in the block. However, some of my favorite DSP techniques require a bit more control of the memory usage. For one, I recently created a pitch harmonizer that finds wave-cycles of 2 zero crossing pairs and uses the duration to shift the incoming pitch into a strictly tuned harmonic interval (IE. play any note in and the processing locks the pitch to a C# with the same formant/texture, thus making automated harmonies around vocals or specific chord qualities around a solo performance guitar lead, this could of course be used for auto-tune as well).
    Another technique I have been finding very rich territory is a form of PSOLA or granular processing, and aside from its experimental uses can be central to creating infinite sustain effects. I have some tests of this on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNf9BNIAS4j ... romachines
    this effect uses a trick that took me a while to fully perfect, in which I cancel out the inherent delay memory address circulation using a counter register and bitwise OR-ing a precise value beyond the resolution of the 11 bit SOF offset coefficient. I then have to make a second counter which adds the same bit and resets read points using either XOR or SKP instructions, essentially a ramp LFO but with more flexibility and precision. If there were simply an opcode to deactivate circulation, or better yet, one that directly addresses a position in memory without using the circulation phasor, this would make such techniques easier to access, and open up a fair bit of possibilities.

2) if I am not mistaken, It appears that the current spec sheet is using the same size of overall delay RAM, and I though I have been happy with the results of this <1second memory space, I suggest adding as much as possible to offer potential long looping style delays. Alternately having the ability to either add external RAM expansion readily (ideally with flexible size options, or possibly FRAM for non volatile looping/sampling).

3) the ability to set pot input hysteresis levels, even if only a couple options (say none/20ms/60ms/120ms? or just the ability to turn it off? its easy enough to add lowpass in code, and very difficult to regain speedy response . The 100ms constant of the FV-1 is just a bit too high for quality pitch sequencing. I have found ways around this, but I believe it would be nice to lower the inherent hysterisis to 20ms at least.
I very much look forward to this. built in EEPROM is pretty sweet, ++ on the 6 pots! Im very curious what will be possible with I2S. I have an ARM/ i2s codec prototype that would make a great companion.

Cheers!
http://MacroMachines.net
Digital Control for your Analog Soul.
smear

Post by smear »

Looking forward to this, although I wish it had more delay memory. Along with number of inputs, that seems to be the primary limitation of the FV-1.