rom_fla_rev.spn not functioning

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

kypo

Post by kypo »

ice-nine wrote:
kypo wrote:
Digital Larry wrote: This is just a copy of the LFO section of that code. I'm not suggesting you replace anything. It works fine for me.
I've reviewed this part of the code and it's exactly the same, so I can not understand where the error might be.
I don't think digital Larry suggested an error in the code at all he just pointed out how the triangle waveform is made. (within that code snippet).
When you mention 'sweep'do you refer to rate or depth of flange or more like feedback/regen, what exactly are you referring too as this effect has a limited control set, yes it flanges, with more info we may be able to help better.
flanging so "feedback/regen" is audible but sound is static no sweep no rate no depth. Like did not work "LFO" at all.
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

Here is a patch to help you check pot functionality. It should pass signal through when all pots are turned up. When any or all pots are turned all the way down, you should not hear anything. Input on left channel, ouput on left channel.

If any pot has no effect on the sound, then there's a problem on the board most likely. If you get no sound at all no matter what you do, try commenting out two of the "mulx pot-something" lines at a time to narrow it down.

==============
rdax adcl, 1
mulx pot0
mulx pot1
mulx pot2
wrax dacl, 0
kypo

Post by kypo »

Digital Larry wrote:Here is a patch to help you check pot functionality. It should pass signal through when all pots are turned up. When any or all pots are turned all the way down, you should not hear anything. Input on left channel, ouput on left channel.

If any pot has no effect on the sound, then there's a problem on the board most likely. If you get no sound at all no matter what you do, try commenting out two of the "mulx pot-something" lines at a time to narrow it down.

==============
rdax adcl, 1
mulx pot0
mulx pot1
mulx pot2
wrax dacl, 0
With all other progs all pots works.
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

I'm clutching at straw here but thinking it would be worth programming a new EEPROM as although unlikely, it is possible to have an unreliable memory cell in the EEPROM which could cause the program not to work correctly

You could check by placing the effect in all 8 slots and flash this to the EEPROM and confirm the program is not behaving correctly in all 8 slots.

Also programming the EEPROM at too low a voltage level can cause write errors.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
kypo

Post by kypo »

ice-nine wrote:I'm clutching at straw here but thinking it would be worth programming a new EEPROM as although unlikely, it is possible to have an unreliable memory cell in the EEPROM which could cause the program not to work correctly

You could check by placing the effect in all 8 slots and flash this to the EEPROM and confirm the program is not behaving correctly in all 8 slots.

Also programming the EEPROM at too low a voltage level can cause write errors.
I tried to program it in all eight slots, everywhere it was the same. Also to more EEPROMS.
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

As yo have pretty much eliminated everything that could be wrong are you sure it isn't working as it should, there is not a huge amount of control in this flange effect in my opinion. Have you tried the flanger in the 3k or GA_demo sets?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
kypo

Post by kypo »

ice-nine wrote:As yo have pretty much eliminated everything that could be wrong are you sure it isn't working as it should, there is not a huge amount of control in this flange effect in my opinion. Have you tried the flanger in the 3k or GA_demo sets?
Yes, I have. All works.
slacker

Post by slacker »

Have you compared how it works to the built in flanger program (program 1) it should be the same as far as i know.

I don't know if this is the cause of the problem but the hex file you posted has two lines that are different to the hex file I get if I build the rom_fla_rev.spn code.

The top row in each example below is what your hex has and the bottom is what mine has. Here's my hex file https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B45V- ... mZwR1lPRFE

Code: Select all

< :04003C000000000DB3
---
> :04003C000010000DA3

< :040058000000000D97
---
> :040058000002000D95
Last edited by slacker on Sun May 07, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
slacker

Post by slacker »

I ran your hex file through Igor's online disassembler and the first difference in your hex file seems to be why pot1 isn't doing anything.

The last line of this bit of code from the spn file multiplies the value from pot1 by 0.001.

rdax	pot1,	1.0	;read pot1
mulx	pot1		;square value, range = 0 to 1
sof	0.05,	0.005	;scale to range of 0.005 to 0.55
sof	.001,	0	;scale further to 0.00005 to 0.0055
but the disassembler gives this

RDAX        POT1 , 1 
MULX        POT1
SOF         0.04998779296875 , 0.0048828125 
SOF         0 , 0  
It's multiplying the value from the pot by 0 so it won't do anything. Disassembling my hex file matches the source code.

The other difference is this line

sof	.00015,	0	;scale to filter
same thing again your hex is multiplying by 0 not 0.00015.

Sorry I've got no idea why your hex file has these errors. Maybe check that the spn file is correct and that you're using the latest version of SpinASM.
kypo

Post by kypo »

slacker wrote:I ran your hex file through Igor's online disassembler and the first difference in your hex file seems to be why pot1 isn't doing anything.

The last line of this bit of code from the spn file multiplies the value from pot1 by 0.001.

RDAX        POT1 , 1 
MULX        POT1
SOF         0 , 0  
It's multiplying the value from the pot by 0 so it won't do anything. Disassembling my hex file matches the source code.

Sorry I've got no idea why your hex file has these errors. Maybe check that the spn file is correct and that you're using the latest version of SpinASM.
Thanks for your competent exhausting help.
I programmed EEPROM wit your hex code (downloaded from your link) and hooray working ok.
I checked my source code (downloaded from spinsemi site) and it is ok without errors
For assembling my hex file I used SpinAsm assembler Version 1.1.31.0 (downloaded from spinsemi site) so it had to make those errors. How it is possible?
What version SpinAsm are used you? There is also older version 1.1.27 maybe that is OK?
kypo

Post by kypo »

kypo wrote:
slacker wrote:I ran your hex file through Igor's online disassembler and the first difference in your hex file seems to be why pot1 isn't doing anything.

RDAX        POT1 , 1 
MULX        POT1
SOF         0 , 0  

Thanks for your competent exhausting help.
I programmed EEPROM wit your hex code (downloaded from your link) and hooray working ok.
I checked my source code (downloaded from spinsemi site) and it is ok without errors
For assembling my hex file I used SpinAsm assembler Version 1.1.31.0 (downloaded from spinsemi site) so it had to make those errors. How it is possible?
What version SpinAsm are used you? There is also older version 1.1.27 maybe that is OK?
HOORAY now I know where problem is.
If I change these two lines in source code:
sof .001, 0 to sof 0.001, 0
and
sof .00015, 0 to sof 0.00015, 0
so EVERYTHING IS OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but I still don't understand how is posible that for others it works without these changes, maybe used another version of SpinAsm.
Otherwise, I also tried the older version SpinAsm and made the same errors.
slacker

Post by slacker »

Good to hear you've found a way to make it work. Are you using Slavakian language format in Windows? If I change to that I get the same problem, it seems to do the same thing with any language that uses the comma as the "decimal symbol" for example French.
Changing to use the dot/period as the decimal symbol fixes the problem.
kypo

Post by kypo »

slacker wrote:Good to hear you've found a way to make it work. Are you using Slavakian language format in Windows? If I change to that I get the same problem, it seems to do the same thing with any language that uses the comma as the "decimal symbol" for example French.
Changing to use the dot/period as the decimal symbol fixes the problem.
Of course I have Windows regional settings to Slovak. I never thought it could affect the function other software. I thought that SpinAsm read source code as chain ASCII codes and dot is everytime 46. I don't know, what have Windows change on it and interfere to function independent software, but evidently it is so. It is again one of the "improvement features" of Windows, when knows better what you want than you yourself.
Indeed, when I switched the regional setting to English, everything was ok with the original source code. So thank you again, without your help I would not find out where the error is until death.
I would be delighted with the version of SpinAsm that would eliminate this "specialty" of Windows and I would be the generated hex code is ok without changing Windows regional settings.