Project folders in Spin IDE

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Digital Larry

Project folders in Spin IDE

Post by Digital Larry »

This "feature" screws me up, basically every time I use it. I want to be able to navigate around my disk and be able to open files, work on them a bit, and save them BACK WHERE THEY WERE TO BEGIN WITH, without having to go and re-set the project directories. "Save as" doesn't remember where I was either.

Just have the program remember where I was the last time I opened or saved any files that the IDE uses. Save this info in the registry or preferences or whatever Mac OS calls it. The way it works now I am always saving things in the wrong place because no other program in the world works this way.

I understand that this program is water under the bridge and unlikely to get a fix for something like this. But please please please baby please don't do it for whatever IDE you're doing for the next chip! Please!!!!!!

Not sure what you're doing on this front but you might want to consider extending Eclipse with a plug-in supporting whatever your assembler is going to be. I wrote a parser for SpinASM in Xtext/Eclipse as part of SpinCAD. That might also be a relatively easy way to get cross platform support.
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

+1 on the file directory preference saving feature, some time ago I done a lot of head scratching when writing an ASM program. I kept editing a program and it never worked, a lot of frustration and head scratching before I realized that my edited saves were going to the folder the IDE wanted to use rather than my own preferred folder, and yes, I have done this a few times before.

I thought I was just being a bit stupid :oops:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
Sweetalk

Post by Sweetalk »

ice-nine wrote:+1 on the file directory preference saving feature, some time ago I done a lot of head scratching when writing an ASM program. I kept editing a program and it never worked, a lot of frustration and head scratching before I realized that my edited saves were going to the folder the IDE wanted to use rather than my own preferred folder, and yes, I have done this a few times before.

I thought I was just being a bit stupid :oops:
been there, super anoying
dslocum

Post by dslocum »

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but on a similar note, I am just trying to write HEX files using Spin ASM. Nothing works. I can't even see the SPN files I've created.

I'm in Windows 10. Can anyone point me to a good thread for help? I want to create a ROM with a combination of SPN and SpinCAD.
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

dslocum wrote:Not meaning to hijack the thread, but on a similar note, I am just trying to write HEX files using Spin ASM. Nothing works. I can't even see the SPN files I've created.

I'm in Windows 10. Can anyone point me to a good thread for help? I want to create a ROM with a combination of SPN and SpinCAD.
I have a similar problem in that after writing any files (hex,spn,etc) and saving them in SpinIDE, when I look in the folders within windows explorer they do no show up. If I open any of these files from the SpinIDE or the hex files via Pickit2 software they are there. Correct folders are being looked in but are not visable via windows (all permissions and view hidden files etc are correct. Totally Weird.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry »

I just tried it, with all folders set to my Desktop, did a project build with only Hex output selected, and it appeared. Windows 10/64.
frank

Post by frank »

I REALLY wish people would start a new thread rather than hijack an existing one, much easier for others to find it based on the topic and for me to find it and try to help.

Make sure the SpinAsm directories are set to something in your user directory and not any system directory. So they should be set to something like:
C:\Users\your_user_name\Documents\SpinStuff\projects
C:\Users\your_user_name\Documents\SpinStuff\source

etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
AndyF

Re:

Post by AndyF »

ice-nine wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 am
dslocum wrote:Not meaning to hijack the thread, but on a similar note, I am just trying to write HEX files using Spin ASM. Nothing works. I can't even see the SPN files I've created.

I have a similar problem in that after writing any files (hex,spn,etc) and saving them in SpinIDE, when I look in the folders within windows explorer they do no show up. If I open any of these files from the SpinIDE or the hex files via Pickit2 software they are there. Correct folders are being looked in but are not visable via windows (all permissions and view hidden files etc are correct. Totally Weird.
The solution I found was before opening a spn, with a right click you create a shortcut to the desktop, then you go to that access and place open file location, there they will show you all the spn saved in the ide, there is something in the path access called virtualstore. Well, there you can see and save all your files.