That 8-second delay patch

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

Digital Larry

That 8-second delay patch

Post by Digital Larry »

http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418

I finally tried this one out, and at least for ME:

1) The code as presented actually generates a 9-second delay at 32 kHz.
2) Attempts to change the sampling divisor are a little strange. here's the section of code where you'd think you could adjust this to your heart's content:

Code: Select all

; Add 0.1 to the loop counter. 
ldax   loop 
sof   1, 0.1 
wrax   loop, 1 
; IF loop counter is > 0.8, THEN write the temp variable to the output, and reset loop variable to 0 
sof   1, -0.8 
skp   neg, Done 
ldax   temp 
wrax   output, 0 
wrax   loop, 0 
Done: 
I'm not at my dev board, so this may be a little off, but using -0.8 gives 9 seconds. I was able to change this value to get different delay lengths, but I could only get 1, 3, 5, 7, 9. I couldn't get any even numbered delay multipliers. Now that really baffled me as I figured hey we're just adding one thing and subtracting another thing and seeing if the result is negative.

So then I thought maybe this is due to quantization, that we are getting some rounding errors and it is putting the values off ever so slightly. So I tried using -0.79 or -0.81 but that didn't help.

Anyone messed with this code to give a 2:1 delay multiplier? That's what I'm really after. It doesn't have to be adjustable. With this code, and the small amount of time I spent, I could get 1 or 3 but not 2.
frank

Post by frank »

I think the reason you are only getting odd odd number multiples is the interleaving of the samples in delay memory. Set the delay length to an odd number for an even multiple. Note I have not tried this but here is my thinking:

We are skipping samples saving/reading to/from delay memory, if we have an even number of memory locations and an odd multiple then the pattern is (assuming 10 sample delay and a x3 multiple):
0, 3, 6, 9, 2, 5, 8, 1, 4, 7, 0, 3, 6, ...

But for an even multiple like 2:
0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 0, 2, 4, ...

we never use the odd sample memory locations so we want an odd number of samples like 11 and then we get:
0, 2, 4, 8, 10, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 0, 2, ...

So try changing the write/read points by 1 and see what happens.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize