SMD Crystal oscillator

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

knutolai

SMD Crystal oscillator

Post by knutolai »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 32768Hz SMD package crystal for clocking the FV1? Any special reason to use the cylinder style crystal?
ice-nine

Re: SMD Crystal oscillator

Post by ice-nine »

I have used many SMD oscillators before but the cylinder ones are 1/3rd the price so I stick with the cylinder ones.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
knutolai

Post by knutolai »

Yeah I've done some looking around and the cylinder is much cheaper. Wonder why..

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to have my boards with all components PCBA assembled at a boardhouse.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I've been doing SMD plug-in cards. All parts are SMD except the crystals, mostly due to price, but the circuit is also touchy about the crystal types, so I figured I would stick with an available watch crystal and it's worked fine.
Improving guitar tone, one player at a time....
knutolai

Post by knutolai »

I see. Guess I'll stick around with the cylinder crystal. Not that much extra work...
mportnoy

Post by mportnoy »

How about Abracon's new line of SMT crystals? I've spec'ed one for my current project. Footprint is a tiny bit larger than 1206.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/81 ... 6632.768KT
igorp

Post by igorp »

we tried several, they had problems with reliability and washing in ultrasonic bath, so we are using micro controller clock instead of crystals.
The bonus is variable sample rate. 48kHz, 22 kHz, etc