Read Programs from EEPROM

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Nazar07UA

Read Programs from EEPROM

Post by Nazar07UA »

Here's my story...I bought the development board, it came with an EEPROM which had 8 programs in it (in addition to ROM). That EEPROM has a reverb patch that I really dig, it sounds so much better than what is in FV-1 ROM. I contacted Spin guys to find out what reverb program it is and they said that programs in stock EEPROM were taken from Spin "FREE DSP Programs" from their website. However, I tried all of those programs and none sound like the reverb patch from that stock EEPROM.

All that said...I would like to know if I can read the information from the stock EEPROM? I want to build a few reverb pedals therefore I need to make a few "copies" of that stock EEPROM. From what I understand so far, SpinAsm only allows me to write patches to EEPROMs, but does not allow me to read them off back.

Please help...I am really new to this kind of programming, but I really love what FV-1 can do.

Cheers!
ice-nine

Re: Read Programs from EEPROM

Post by ice-nine »

I don't know if you can do this directly within the Developer kit or not as I do not use this myself, but I would expect there will be a way to save the hex file from the EEPROM witch you can then use to program other EEPROMS. Someone else may answer if this is easy to do, but...…

READING AND WRITING EEPROM WITH PICKIT 2

If you have access or are able to purchase a 'Microchip Pickit2' then it is simple to read the stock EEPROM and save the relevant reverb program for use. You could get a Pickit2 programmer or even build a simple EEPROM programmer/reader yourself which would be cheaper.

If you can't save the program directly from the Spin Dev board I would suggest buying the PIckit2 as it will be very useful if you are making EEPROM for you pedals. (note - Not the pickit3 as that will not read/write EEPROMS)

The Pickit 2 will allow you to also make an exact copy of the EEPROM in seconds.

When reading the EEPROM you will get a hex file not the asm code, but you can extract the single program you want from the hex using MPLABIDE if that is what you want to do.

One question, the Spin dev board you bought, was it new ? Just wondering in case someone else had programmed the EEPROM with their own code which would explain why it does not match any of the FreeDSP programs from the site.

If you have any questions about this just ask.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."