Popping on Startup

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

JET

Popping on Startup

Post by JET »

I'm hoping this is a simple fix, please excuse my ignorance as I'm not an electrical engineer.

I'm trying to create a buffered bypass by switching off the input to the FV-1. This seems to work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAAKGm ... sp=sharing but it gives off a pop when engaging the effect for the first time only. It only happens when the pedal has been powered on in the bypass mode then the effect is engaged, once it's been powered on and engaged you can bypass it on and off without any popping.

Thoughts?
ice-nine

Re: Popping on Startup

Post by ice-nine »

There may be a small DC offset on C2 Try placing a 1M resistor at the junction of SW1A and C2 to ground, this should help.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
JET

Post by JET »

Thanks ice-nine!

I feel like I've tried this by hand soldering a through hole resistor to my PCB and it made it pop every time I turned it on and off vs. just popping at startup. I'll give it one more shot and post back with results.

How are you guys incorporating "trails" into your circuits? Is it similar to the method I've attached https://drive.google.com/open?id=182ivf ... zVEb5QdKcU (switching off the input and combining the buffered signal with the output of the FV-1) or am I going about it the wrong way?
JET

Post by JET »

Yep, tried it again and it pops every time its turned on and off vs. only after the first initial startup.

Is this common problem folks are having or should I look at a re-design of the buffered bypass portion of the circuit?
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

JET wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 am Yep, tried it again and it pops every time its turned on and off vs. only after the first initial startup.

Is this common problem folks are having or should I look at a re-design of the buffered bypass portion of the circuit?
No it is not a common problem, look at your bypass switch (SW1C) maybe move it to the end of the circuit output,
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."