FV-1 harsh ticking sound

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

nacho_conso

FV-1 harsh ticking sound

Post by nacho_conso »

Hi! I've recently received my FV-1 chip, bought on aliexpress. As I wait for my EEPROM to come i wanted to try the chip with its internal programs. I followed the Datasheet schematic and added input and output buffer's as the desing made by Ice-9 in another forum. I started with program 6 (Reverb 1) and for my surprise, it worked but made a horrible harsh periodic sound (with a period of a 800 ms or a sec approximately). I checked my crystal and its cap.Crystal cap is 15pF and I also tried 22pF without any change. I bought the crystal on a local store and they sold me it as a 32768 Hz one, it has the inscription "S783" on its body.

I also tested the Program 5 which appears as a Test program in datasheet. In that program, signal comes out nice and clean without any ticking sound.

As 3,3 V supply I used a 3,3v regulated and filtrated output from an LM317.
As 9 V power supply i used a 9V battery.

I will post some sounclips. You will notice that by using reverb effects, its a harsh dity sound with the same period, and when using Flanger/chorus style, it's more like a high frequency ticking, with the same period as the reverb.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yb0Ir ... 0Ugthuwldl
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HwQoE ... U82bQr9fpo
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13otSI ... 3JNswwR8zI

I have to mention that i made myself a daughter board where i soldered the FV-1 and that I am protoyping everything on my protoboard.
Dry signal keeps neat and clean all the way to the FV-1 input, and all the way from input buffer and output buffer when FV-1 is bypassed.
frank

Re: FV-1 harsh ticking sound

Post by frank »

Sounds like bad memory, contact the seller for a replacement. Note that no official seller sells on aliexpress so you are taking chances buying through them and those are most likely reclaimed or fake parts.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
nacho_conso

Post by nacho_conso »

Thanks for the fast repply frank. I also noticed it's a 2008 batch part.. I've already contacted the AE seller and already mailed 2 of the 3 official suppliers for pricing and shipping info.
frank

Post by frank »

Only email the one that serves your area, we are not allowed to sell into each others regions. If you are unsure which it is email me and I can tell you.

2008?? Where has it been for 11 years?
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
nacho_conso

Post by nacho_conso »

I don't know which one serves my area. I live in Argentina and my plan was to send it to miami where a local courier has their offices and they can bring it here. They also have offices in hong kong but for bigger shipments. Which supplier should I take?
2008?? Where has it been for 11 years?
I don't know, the code over the chip says 0838J, so I suppose it's from a 2008 batch.
frank

Post by frank »

That would be my area so just email sales or use the contact form on the xnoize.com site. I ship to SA through the Florida forwarders all the time.

Yes, 0838J is 2008, really wonder where the supplier got them or how they have been stored.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
igorp

Post by igorp »

Oh, man, never buy fv-1 on aliexpress, they all defective.

Small bear electronics , banzai , etc , sell original ones for personal use
mrushg

Post by mrushg »

I know this is rather belated, but I've also just received some chips from AliExpress (2008 ones, it appears) - and got exactly the same result as nacho-conso. I live in Australia and the only supplier I've a quote from was Profusion who charge US$49 for shipping. So AE seemed to be worth a try. Ah well, we all make mistakes.
frank

Post by frank »

$49 for international is not too bad. If I ship a small box via postal service to Australia from the US it is about $40. But buy from China and it is $1 shipping, welcome to the imbalance in shipping costs due to the terminal fees set by the Universal Postal Union. If you are in the US, UK, Australia, etc. you may be surprised to see how much of the postal fees you pay for services are used to subsidize shipments from places like China.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize