Mid Reference Capacitor

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

manureichel

Mid Reference Capacitor

Post by manureichel »

Hi. I have a question regarding the Mid Reference pin. (Third pin on the IC). I'm currently working on a project that's going to be pretty small and want to use smaller dimension parts as possible. The Datasheet states to put a 1uF polarized capacitor between the MID pin and GND. Although I've seen other schematics where bigger values are used. Can I use a ceramic multilayer capacitor on this one?. And just for reference, what's the purpose of this Mid Reference Pin? My guessing it's that is there to apply a capacitor for internal Vref stability or something like that?

Greetings!
frank

Re: Mid Reference Capacitor

Post by frank »

MLCC is fine, pin is part of the reference for the internal CODECs.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Aion

Post by Aion »

I would be careful with MLCC as most of them, except C0G (NP0), are microphonic. A problem if you design an effect to be mounted in combo amp.
There are solid tantalum capacitors in 0603 case, like TMCJ1A475MTRF from Vishay/Sprague, offered by Mouser.
smear

Post by smear »

oh that's great to know! any excuse to avoid an electrolytic is a nice help.

i doubt the microphonics would matter, since it's unrelated to the signal path and connected to ground. we all use ceramic caps for the DVD+AVD pins and for the crystal, but that doesn't cause any trouble.
Aion

Post by Aion »

Frank explained that "pin is part of the reference for the internal CODECs". I fear that modulation of this pin voltage can have an effect on conversion results of ADCs and DACs. Let's wait for Frank's opinion.
frank

Post by frank »

Aion wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm Frank explained that "pin is part of the reference for the internal CODECs". I fear that modulation of this pin voltage can have an effect on conversion results of ADCs and DACs. Let's wait for Frank's opinion.
Well my opinion is Aion may be right and I had not thought of the microphonic issue so I say give it a try but listen for any issue. It does set a reference for the converters so it is part of the signal path but it is also internally filtered so it may be OK. If not then a C0G as Aion suggests.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Aion

Post by Aion »

High capacitance C0G capacitors in small (0805) cases are actually available only up to 47 nF and relatively expensive.
I would suggest to use tantalum capacitors instead, like TMCJ1A475MTRF in 0603 case from Vishay/Sprague, offered by e.g. Mouser.
smear

Post by smear »

oh i see! tantalum does seem safest, as is used on the dev board. though personally i'm going to try some standard standard ceramics on my next build to find out for sure, like frank suggests

also, you can get 1uf C0G caps for the low price of... $15 each :lol: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kn ... 5HJXqk0%3D

by the way, aion, why do you recommend a 4.7uf cap? more filtering for a more stable reference? i was thinking to use the same 1uf part for both the MID pin and the REFP pin.
Aion

Post by Aion »

You can find even 22 uF in some commercial products. The 4.7 uF tantalum is available in 0603 case.
smear

Post by smear »

interesting! do they use the same larger values for REFP?

speaking of commercial products, i did some poking around and zcat pedals use MLCCs for both MID and REFP: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/zcat/polyoctaver
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

Aion wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am You can find even 22 uF in some commercial products. The 4.7 uF tantalum is available in 0603 case.
All my designs use 10uf for mid reference but I use micro sized electros or tants.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
Aion

Post by Aion »

@ smear "do they use the same larger values for REFP?"

Yes, 22 uF both for MID and REFP.
Sweetalk

Post by Sweetalk »

Aion wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 pm @ smear "do they use the same larger values for REFP?"

Yes, 22 uF both for MID and REFP.
Any improvements using larger caps?
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

it is just dataheet stuff, the main datasheet suggests 1uf for both but the dev board dataheet has 10uf it doesn't make much difference. I use 10uf in both positions.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
Aion

Post by Aion »

"Any improvements using larger caps?"

I don't think so. I think that manufacturers often simplify their logistics and stock many e.g. capacitors of the same value. Another example: there are sometimes strange values of resistors on commercial schematics. I suspect that banana counters press the designers to use stocked components.