Reconfiguring the FV1 1313A Reverb chip - Absolute noob needing help

Algorithm development and general DSP issues

Moderator: frank

bemorecheetah

Reconfiguring the FV1 1313A Reverb chip - Absolute noob needing help

Post by bemorecheetah »

Hi all

Firstly be gentle - I am new to this... I'm a UK based guitarist working with a Chinese pedal manufacturer to name and market pedals and to design their enclosures.

I'm currently working on a multi modulated reverb using seven of the settings from the FV1 1313A Chip. Some of the sounds are great - some not so much. They sent me a prototype to play with.

As I understand it, there is a way to 'reprogram' the settings using a GUI and somehow 'connecting' to the chip to change the way it works.

For example on the prototype I have, one reverb setting has a lo eq, a high eq and a decay setting - this to me makes no sense, I'd rather have mix / decay / tone (there are three control knobs in play)

At this point I would like to ask the group if there is any way someone could help me 'connect' to this GUI editor as at the minute it feels as daunting as trying to play Eruption by Eddie Van Halen.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Steve
potul

Re: Reconfiguring the FV1 1313A Reverb chip - Absolute noob needing help

Post by potul »

I'm not sure what the 1313A is...

But the FV1 cannot be reprogrammed. If you want to customize it, you need to attach an external EEPROM and write your own code there.

You can start with the knowledge base in spinsemi web, and reading the datasheet.

http://www.spinsemi.com/knowledge_base.html
ice-nine

Re: Reconfiguring the FV1 1313A Reverb chip - Absolute noob needing help

Post by ice-nine »

No need to worry about the 1313A markings on the chip it is just the manufacture date code, made in 2013 so it's an older 7 year old IC.

The Spin Software only connects to the Spin FV-1 Development board, if you have a pedal with the FV-1 in it you will need to use a programmer to send a .hex file (containing the programs you have compiled) to an EEPROM not the FV-1. The FV-1 only containes its own internal programs and cannot be overwritten. The use of the external memory EEPROM is where your own edited programs are stored.

Check the pedal you are developing to see if you have an external EEPROM, if not you will need to re design the circuit to include one.

Spin ASM Assembler = You write or edit your programs in the Spin DSP code language and can save the effects as .hex file.

SpinCad = GUI program for making your own effects programs. This is a 3rd party software that can build effects for the FV-1 without the need to understand the DSP language, then save as a .hex file to use with the external eeprom.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."