NOISE AND MORE NOISE

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

AndyF

NOISE AND MORE NOISE

Post by AndyF »

Hello, I want to ask all those who develop products, what solution they have found in relation to the noise produced by the dsp.
Probe different pcbs, with regulators of different quality, however the noise is still there. Of course, depending on how you mix, you will notice more or less noises, but the noise is very loud. In fact, the development board is very noisy, which shows that the problem is the dsp. Now is there any solution? or you have to live with this as it happens with pt2399, but the latter costs $ 0.50 there is a big difference ...
Whoever says it has no noise I don't believe him, a true 100% wet / dry mix is noisy and a lot, what I don't know, if they could filter it?
Well-known brands have a lot of noise in their products, which I don't understand how they put them on the market with that noise level. Well it bothers me and I would like to solve it, I hope someone contributes something concrete. Thank you
smear

Re: NOISE AND MORE NOISE

Post by smear »

have you tried a 4-layer board with separate analog and digital supplies and differential inputs/outputs, as described in this post? http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=868
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

smear wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm have you tried a 4-layer board with separate analog and digital supplies and differential inputs/outputs, as described in this post? http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=868
Look, there is no product on the market that does that, so it would be an exaggeration to have to do everything so that there is no noise.
In fact, as I mentioned, the developer board makes a lot of noise and they produce it themselves. Surely there is a solution but nothing found yet.
The good thing would be that they improve it from the dsp, I think.
according to the algorithm, according to the pcb, the noise is greater or less, but the noise is there and it is not good. In my opinion they should improve it.
smear

Post by smear »

i don't know of any products on the market that do that, but like you said "Well-known brands have a lot of noise in their products"

since their pedals sell, those brands don't need the less noisy version. but if you want less noise than them, you'll probably need to use more robust designs, like the one described in that thread.
frank

Post by frank »

Most noise is from PCB layout and power, careful attention to these things is necessary in a mixed signal design. Dev board has noise from USB power, not being in a grounded enclosure, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

frank wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 pm Most noise is from PCB layout and power, careful attention to these things is necessary in a mixed signal design. Dev board has noise from USB power, not being in a grounded enclosure, etc.
I did not want to name them, but I do not know a pcb that does not emit noise. EQ .., JH ..., KEEL .... And and many more .. Top-notch brands have noise and blowing in their pedals. They may not care, but that is real. I don't think I don't have or can hire engineers who could eliminate noise, I think they can't and it happens to be cost benefits.
There are noises, and noises, some are tremendous, others are slight, but the noise is. And the question is not with the intention of criticizing, but of improving, and seeing solutions and improvements to all this. Try 5 different schemes, if the mix has the mix 50/50% the noise is heard a lot, it is only disguised by using the mix in a non-traditional way but it does not work well for all effects. I have spoken with many people and they all agree that the dsp has noise. Maybe frank instead of deriving this in what is the design, the pcb, the regulators etc ... you could improve the chip because you surely have the ability to do so.
I repeat it is only my opinion and only in order to improve.

I do not think it is very good for the product, that to achieve something decent, you have to be a NASA engineer making pcbs, maybe from the base of the product improving it, it could simplify things and give more benefits to those who do it. they use.

If anyone can make a pcb without noise, tell me that I will pay you to get it, but as it is so far, I doubt it.
frank

Post by frank »

Many people make very quiet products using the chip. It is a mixed signal design so you need to make sure to use mixed signal design techniques. You were pointed at a thread that has tips for mixed signal design.

Locking the thread, an answer has been provided and design tips supplied.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize