Metallic clicking sound with reverb (SpinCAD Reverb_Hall)

Software questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

mark2

Metallic clicking sound with reverb (SpinCAD Reverb_Hall)

Post by mark2 »

I don't know how to describe it, but here's a clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7uuqs07rtux4 ... k.mp3?dl=0

Does anyone know off the top of their head what might be causing it? It happens when I introduce the "Reverb_Hall" block in SpinCAD.
Digital Larry

Re: Metallic clicking sound with reverb (SpinCAD Reverb_Hall)

Post by Digital Larry »

Few things worth mentioning.

a) I offer ad-hoc support (that is, if I see your question, I'll try to answer it) for SpinCAD issues over at the diystompboxes forum in the DSP area.
b) People will always be better able to help you if you include code.
c) I went and found the "spincadbuilder" source for the Hall Reverb, which is here https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCA ... ll.spincad
d) Many of the included blocks in SpinCAD, especially the reverb blocks, were taken and adapted from the free programs here at Spin's website, or sometimes posts in the forum itself.
e) I double checked the code and found this:

Code: Select all

equ gain 0.5 
@sliderLabel gain Input_Gain -24 0 -6 1.0 1 DBLEVEL 
;feed inputs to predelay:

... [some code missing here]

rdax	input, gain
; rdax	adcr,0.25	;leave headroom
wra	pdel,0		;write to predelay
The reference code multiplies the input by 0.25 (- 12 dB) before anything else, to "leave headroom". I replaced that with the "rdax, input, gain" line but gain defaults to 0.5 (-6 dB). Clever, wasn't I?

:roll:

Years later, I now know that it's easy to overload the cascaded all-pass stages which are generally the first thing you hit in one of these FV-1 reverbs. This makes a nasty clicking noise. Is it what you're hearing? Not sure but a good place to start.

So, for starters I suggest you reduce the gain value in the Hall Reverb control panel to 0.25 (-12 dB). Does it help?

DL
mark2

Re: Metallic clicking sound with reverb (SpinCAD Reverb_Hall)

Post by mark2 »

This seems to certainly be a culprit. I was never able to fully reproduce the problem (that recording was from somebody else) without increasing the gain for testing purposes, but when I did it sounded very similar. To be safe I'm dialing it down now, then will try amplifying it on the other side of the reverb block.

Thanks!