Serial connection

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Gennadiy

Serial connection

Post by Gennadiy »

Hi!
I apologize for my poor knowledge of English. I want to develop a vocal processor.
I wanted to use the Mixer Application (http://www.spinsemi.com/mixer_application.html) as a base. But connect several modules in series so that you can use several effects at the same time. The first module is for echo (switched on by the pedal), then the chorus module (switched on by the second pedal), and then the reverb module.
1. Is it possible to connect three boards with FV-1 in this way? Will the sound quality degrade a lot?
2. The program tab goes to the Mixer Application. Do these programs need to be loaded into separate memory? Or are these programs that are inside FV-1 and they do not need separate memory?
3. Can I use these programs if I sell this vocal processor?
Thanks!
Sweetalk

Re: Serial connection

Post by Sweetalk »

Depending on some things in each code, you can put them together in the same program, use a skip routine to select which one is active (you'll loose a pot but maybe is not that big deal)
Gennadiy

Post by Gennadiy »

Thanks! I thought about it. But if you want all three effects to work simultaneously, then you need three FV-1s. Since the settings for each effect are different.
frank

Post by frank »

Gennadiy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:27 pm 2. The program tab goes to the Mixer Application. Do these programs need to be loaded into separate memory? Or are these programs that are inside FV-1 and they do not need separate memory?
They must be loaded into the external EEPROM
Gennadiy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:27 pm 3. Can I use these programs if I sell this vocal processor?
Yes but you must give credit to Spin in documentation and on your website like "This product uses programs provided by Spin Semiconductor" or similar
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Gennadiy

Post by Gennadiy »

Frank, thanks!
Does anyone have any information on the first question? Have you tried connecting several FV-1s in series?
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

Gennadiy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:03 pm Frank, thanks!
Does anyone have any information on the first question? Have you tried connecting several FV-1s in series?
Yes..You can connect FV-1 DSP's in series or parallel. For your purpose I would consider just 2 FV-1 chips as 2 of the effects can easily be programmed on 1 FV-1 and give enough pot controls but it really depends on how many pots per effect you want in the digital domain. Some of your control post could be analogue rather than through the DSP. So it really depends on how you design the rest of your circuit.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."
Gennadiy

Post by Gennadiy »

Understood thanks!
Somehow I did not immediately think about two effects on one processor.