Maximum input signal

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

Gennadiy

Maximum input signal

Post by Gennadiy »

Hello!
The documentation for the FV-1 says that the maximum input signal level should be in the range of 2.6V - 3V peak-to-peak.
I have a problem.
Each mic pre-out of the mixer can deliver a maximum of about 2.5V (at maximum gain). If only one input is used, that's fine. But if you use, for example, all six possible ones, then the signal will be limited to only half the supply voltage. At maximum battery charge, this is 14 volts peak-to-peak. Further, this signal will go to the input of the equalizer and, again, 14V will be obtained at its output. When the person operating the mixing console hears a terribly clipped signal, he will reduce the signal that goes to the input of the equalizer and beyond. But during this time, the effect block circuit will be destroyed.
I need a circuit that will not physically be able to provide more than 2.5 Vp-p. But capable of receiving a signal with a voltage of at least 15V peak-peak without harm to itself. This will protect the effects unit while the DJ manually lowers the volume.
If the signal greatly exceeds 2.5V, then it is heard by the ears. If the signal exceeds by a small amount, it is more reliable to use an LED. Therefore, I would like to have a circuit for indicating the operation of the limiter.
I'm looking for a low THD protection circuit for an effects unit. Since there are several such circuits in the device, I would like to get the smallest possible THD value in each of them.
The only option I found is http://thatcorp.com/pedals/4316%20Simpl ... 0r00.1.pdf . I am confused by the use of THAT4316 with its 0.03%THD (up to this point only OPA2132 has been used).
Perhaps there is a simpler and more correct solution?
I found one of the options for such a limitation on a transistor and a diode bridge ( https://www.eleccircuit.com/audio-peak- ... ated_Posts ). I made a simulation of this circuit. Limiter that this circuit produces is 4V peak peak. Is this enough to not destroy the FV-1? And I will not understand if the transistor and diodes contribute additional THD, until the signal clipping occurs.
Help me please! I've been struggling with this problem for a week now and can't find any acceptable solution that will keep the circuit's performance at a high level.
Gennadiy

Re: Maximum input signal

Post by Gennadiy »

Sorry for the links. I cannot figure out how to add images to attachments.
frank

Post by frank »

Gennadiy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:28 am Limiter that this circuit produces is 4V peak peak. Is this enough to not destroy the FV-1?
FV-1 is 3.3Vp-p MAX, do not exceed that. You should target 2.5Vp-p to minimize distortion.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize
Gennadiy

Post by Gennadiy »

Thanks Frank. So it is impossible to use a circuit with diodes.